How Does Work Done on a Car Relate to Its Kinetic Energy and Speed?

In summary, a car of mass 800kg is at rest and the engine applies a force of 2000 N for a distance of 5m. Using the equation Work = force x distance, the work done is calculated to be 10000 J. The work energy theorem states that the work done is equal to the increase in mechanical energy, which includes kinetic energy and various forms of potential energy.
HopelessMe
1. A car of mass 800kg is at rest. The engine exerts a resultant force of 2000 N for a distance of 5m. a) What is then its kinetic energy? b) What is then its speed?

2. It is required that you must not use any SUVAT equations while solving this problem.

Possible equations to use are:
kinetic energy = 1/2 x m x v^2
Gravitational Potential Energy = m x g x h
Work = force x distance
F = m x a
W = m x g

3. I have attempted this question a number of times as I'm trying to find the velocity, but since there is no height in this question, I can't use the GPE equation, I'm just a little bit confused and would really appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HopelessMe! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Try work = force x distance. :wink:

(btw, strictly, it's force "dot" displacement)

Force x distance = 2000 N x 5 m = 10000 J

Okay, how do I use 10 000 J :shy:

Do you know the work energy theorem? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Do you know the work energy theorem? :smile:

Hey Tiny-Tim,

I don't believe I'm aware of the theorem. I know that work is the energy that's been changed from one form to another... :confused:

So do you mean to say that the work done is equal to the kinetic energy?:eek:

HopelessMe said:
So do you mean to say that the work done is equal to the kinetic energy?:eek:

work done equals the increase in mechanical energy …

that's kinetic energy plus various forms of potential energy​

(haven't your lectures covered this?

if not, look it up)

Related to How Does Work Done on a Car Relate to Its Kinetic Energy and Speed?

1. What is conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light switch, the electrical energy is converted to light energy. Similarly, when we drive a car, the chemical energy in the gasoline is converted to kinetic energy to move the car. Understanding this principle allows us to make more efficient use of energy and reduce waste.

3. Can energy be lost in a system?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a closed system. It can only be transformed from one form to another. However, some energy can be dissipated as heat, which cannot be used for work. This is why energy efficiency is important in systems.

4. How does conservation of energy relate to the environment?

Conservation of energy is closely related to the environment because energy use is a major contributor to environmental issues such as climate change. By conserving energy and using renewable sources, we can reduce our impact on the environment and help protect it for future generations.

5. What are some real-world examples of conservation of energy?

Some real-world examples of conservation of energy include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling to reduce fuel consumption, and using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. Additionally, renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power are also examples of conservation of energy in action.