How Does Wind Affect the Doppler Shift of Sound?

In summary: O'Sullivan said in summary that the frequency heard by a cyclist heading north or west, toward the whistle at a speed u is f.
e(ho0n3

Homework Statement

A factory whistle emits sound of frequency f. On a day when the wind velocity is w from the north, what frequency will observers hear who are located, at rest, (a) due north, (b) due south, (c) due east, and (d) due west, of the whistle? What frequency is heard by a cyclist heading (e) north or (f) west, toward the whistle at a speed u?

Homework Equations

Frequency heard by stationary observer of a sound source

(1) moving toward the observer: f/(1 - vs/v);
(2) moving away from the observer: f/(1 + vs/v).

Frequency heard by a moving observer of a stationary sound source when

(3) the observer is moving toward the source: f(1 + vo/v);
(4) the observer is moving away from the source: f(1 + vo/v).

f is the frequency of the sound source, v is the velocity of sound in air, vo is the velocity of the observer and vs is the velocity of the sound source.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is a bit tricky for me because it discusses a new concept: waves on a moving medium, viz. sound waves in the wind. I thought of a simpler situation: a transverse wave on a moving string. In this situation, if the wave moves in the same direction as the string, an observer will see a faster moving wave than one in which the string is not moving right?

The question is: Do I consider the wind as a moving sound source then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure. From intuition I would, but I would clearly state as an assumption that v plus c add vectorially.

I checked the answer in the book. It seems that they ignore the velocity of the wind because the answers to (a) - (d) are all f. I wonder if this was a trick question.

Yea, the advection for wind + c is fairly minimal, dissipation is not.

What do you mean by "advection for wind + c"? I don't get it. If I'm ignoring the wind, would the answers to (e) and (f) be the same?

No, the first four parts assume (or not)a vector addition of wind and c, whereas e,f are based on the motion of the observor.

Last edited:
You keep referring to c. What is c? Also, the cyclist is moving toward the whistle so it doesn't matter if he is moving towards it from the south or from the west.

c is the speed of sound. a-d involve at rest bodies, while e,f are at motion relative to the whistle.

Please read also our article : "The Doppler effect's contribution in the propagation of sound on a windy day" http://knol.google.com/k/athena-jourdan/the-doppler-effect-s-contribution-in/airq7uy58x6t/40#

cheers

S. J.

Related to How Does Wind Affect the Doppler Shift of Sound?

1. What causes sound with wind present?

Sound with wind present is caused by the movement of air molecules. As the wind blows, it creates vibrations in objects such as trees, buildings, or even our eardrums, which then produce sound waves.

2. Does wind affect the speed of sound?

Yes, wind can affect the speed of sound. When wind blows in the same direction as sound, it can increase the speed of sound waves. Conversely, when wind blows against the direction of sound, it can slow down the speed of sound waves.

3. Are there different types of sounds produced with wind present?

There are different types of sounds produced with wind present. For example, wind can create a low-pitched sound when it blows through a small opening, such as a keyhole. It can also create a high-pitched sound when it blows through a narrow gap, such as between two buildings.

4. How does wind affect the loudness of sound?

Wind can affect the loudness of sound in two ways. First, it can increase the loudness of sound by carrying the sound waves further, making them more audible. Second, wind can also decrease the loudness of sound by causing the sound waves to disperse, making them less audible.

5. Can wind affect the pitch of sound?

Yes, wind can affect the pitch of sound. When wind blows through a hollow object, such as a bottle or a flute, it can change the resonance of the object, resulting in a change in pitch. Additionally, wind can also create a Doppler effect, which can alter the pitch of sound waves as they move towards or away from the observer.