How Does Wheel Speed Affect Turning Rate in Dual-Wheel Drive Vehicles?

In summary: I think you've mostly got it. I would not assume one wheel stationary but instead just calculate how far each wheel travels, which then gives you the length of the arc segments.In summary,The electrical engineering junior was helping some freshmen in a project to build a racing car. They did not want to use servo motors for the turning mechanism, so he helped them to calculate the turning rate vs the wheels speeds.
abdo799
I am an electrical engineering junior and i am helping some freshmen in a project
They are supposed to build a racing car
They don't want to use servo motors for the turning mechanism. They want to use the same mechanism the Segway uses, turn one wheel faster then the other, so i wanted to know if there is a way to calculate the turning rate vs the wheels speeds

Engineering news on Phys.org
abdo799 said:
I am an electrical engineering junior and i am helping some freshmen in a project
They are supposed to build a racing car
They don't want to use servo motors for the turning mechanism. They want to use the same mechanism the Segway uses, turn one wheel faster then the other, so i wanted to know if there is a way to calculate the turning rate vs the wheels speeds
Definitely -- it is a simple matter of geometry. Start by drawing yourself some diagrams of the wheel layout and turning circle.

I don't know how to draw those things...I tried to imagine it but couldn't come up with how to calculate them

abdo799 said:
I don't know how to draw those things...I tried to imagine it but couldn't come up with how to calculate them
What do you mean? A turning circle of a car is just a circle. The wheels are two circles of their own, on sticks at a set distance apart. When a car turns, the wheels trace-out two concentric circles on the ground. Surely, you must be able to visualize/draw that?

russ_watters said:
What do you mean? A turning circle of a car is just a circle. The wheels are two circles of their own, on sticks at a set distance apart. When a car turns, the wheels trace-out two concentric circles on the ground. Surely, you must be able to visualize/draw that?
Oh..OK
I thought it was some sort of mechanical engineering drawing
I did draw some simple drawing but couldn't come up with any calculations

abdo799 said:
Oh..OK
I thought it was some sort of mechanical engineering drawing
I did draw some simple drawing but couldn't come up with any calculations
Can you post a scan/photo of the drawing?

russ_watters said:
Can you post a scan/photo of the drawing?
actually i was writing this post while sitting on the beach and the drawing is back home :D
i do have one on my laptop but i used paint so it's not very pretty, will it be ok?

abdo799 said:
actually i was writing this post while sitting on the beach and the drawing is back home :D
i do have one on my laptop but i used paint so it's not very pretty, will it be ok?
Yes, anything would be a start.

I couldn't upload it using the mobile app, but my drawing is really simple because of my idea of how it works.
I thought maybe I can apply the concept of the relative motion, if one wheel's speed is 10 rpm and the other is 20 rpm then we can say tht one wheel is 10 rpm and the other is stationary, so the diagram will be just a portion of a circle, the radius will be the distance between the 2 wheels and the length of the arc is easily calculated because I know the radius and spend of the wheel..I can now calculate the angle of the arc and the angular velocity.

abdo799 said:
I couldn't upload it using the mobile app, but my drawing is really simple because of my idea of how it works.
I thought maybe I can apply the concept of the relative motion, if one wheel's speed is 10 rpm and the other is 20 rpm then we can say tht one wheel is 10 rpm and the other is stationary, so the diagram will be just a portion of a circle, the radius will be the distance between the 2 wheels and the length of the arc is easily calculated because I know the radius and spend of the wheel..I can now calculate the angle of the arc and the angular velocity.
I think you've mostly got it. I would not assume one wheel stationary but instead just calculate how far each wheel travels, which then gives you the length of the arc segments.

Yes..so I should get the difference between the arc lengths and consider the slower wheel the center?

If you stop thinking of RPM and instead think of angle of wheel rotation then you can consider putting a shaft pulse encoder on each wheel. Now count the number of pulses coming from the individual left and right wheels.
The sum of the two counts gives the distance travelled.
The difference of the two counts gives the direction the vehicle is now facing.
The rate of change of the sum is the velocity.
The rate of change of the difference is the rate of turn.

abdo799 said:
They don't want to use servo motors for the turning mechanism.

How many wheels will it have?

If it's a conventional 4 wheel car you would still need to turn/angle two of the wheels. I suppose you could use castors or similar but think about the weight balance or you will get bad under/oversteer.

CWatters said:
How many wheels will it have?

If it's a conventional 4 wheel car you would still need to turn/angle two of the wheels. I suppose you could use castors or similar but think about the weight balance or you will get bad under/oversteer.
i just spoke to them about the castors thing, and it won't work, so they decided to make it like the segway

abdo799 said:
i just spoke to them about the castors thing, and it won't work, so they decided to make it like the segway
You may want to push the castor idea again.
A segway is not much good for racing, if you apply to much torque the whole thing tips over so acceleration is limited.

Check out how a roomba works, they have two wheel drive like a segway but also have a small castor wheel so tipping isn't an issue:
12PCS-LOT-Caster-Assembly-font-b-Replacement-b-font-Front-font-b-Castor-b-font-Wheel.jpg

Notice how the wheel is coloured, it's so an encoder senses it's rotation- if the drive wheels are rotating but the castor isn't, the roomba knows it is stuck.

Related to How Does Wheel Speed Affect Turning Rate in Dual-Wheel Drive Vehicles?

1. What is the difference between turn rate and wheel's speed?

Turn rate refers to the rate at which a vehicle can turn or change direction, while wheel's speed is the speed at which the wheels are rotating.

2. How do turn rate and wheel's speed affect each other?

The turn rate is directly affected by the wheel's speed. The faster the wheels are rotating, the quicker the vehicle can turn. Conversely, if the wheels are moving slowly, the turn rate will also be slower.

3. Can the turn rate and wheel's speed be adjusted independently?

Yes, the turn rate and wheel's speed can be adjusted independently. For example, in a car, the steering wheel controls the turn rate while the gas pedal controls the wheel's speed.

4. Why is turn rate vs wheel's speed important in vehicle design?

Understanding and optimizing the relationship between turn rate and wheel's speed is crucial in vehicle design. It can affect the vehicle's handling, stability, and overall performance. Improper balance between the two can also result in safety hazards.

5. How can turn rate vs wheel's speed be measured?

Turn rate can be measured using a gyroscope or by tracking the vehicle's movement with sensors. Wheel's speed can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the distance traveled over time.