How Does Voltage Drop Across a Resistor?

In summary, the concept of voltage being dropped across a resistor can be confusing. However, it should be understood that voltage is not a material that goes somewhere. Similarly, the height of a ladder does not "go" anywhere when climbed down. The movement of positive charges across a resistor and facing resistance relates to them needing energy to cross, and this voltage is released as heat, following the formula Power = I ΔV.
member 392791
Hello,

I am having conceptual difficulties trying to understand how voltage is dropped across a resistor. The whole idea of it is confusing to me, where does this voltage go?

Could it be explained in terms of point charges and electric fields, which is how I am able to visualize potential difference.

The way I see it, the positive charges move across a resistor and face some sort of resistance to their motion, but how does that relate to the charges losing potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
where does this voltage go?
Voltage is not a material, it does not "go" somewhere.
Where does the height of a ladder (not your height!) "go" if you climb it down?

The way I see it, the positive charges move across a resistor and face some sort of resistance to their motion, but how does that relate to the charges losing potential?
They need some energy to cross the resistor. Moving positive charges are quite rare.

where does this voltage go

Think of it in terms of power.

Power = I ΔV.

It escapes as heat.

positive charges don't move as much as the electrons move to fill "electron holes"

Thank you for your question. The concept of voltage drop across a resistor can be a bit confusing, so let me try to explain it in simpler terms.

First, let's define what voltage is. Voltage is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. Think of it as the force that pushes electrons through a circuit.

Now, when we talk about voltage drop across a resistor, we are referring to the decrease in voltage as the current passes through the resistor. This is due to the resistance of the resistor, which resists the flow of electrons and causes a decrease in voltage.

In terms of point charges and electric fields, you can think of the resistor as a "roadblock" in the path of the electrons. As the electrons pass through the resistor, they experience resistance and lose energy, resulting in a decrease in voltage. This can also be seen as a decrease in the electric potential between the two points.

In short, the voltage drop across a resistor is simply the result of the resistance it provides to the flow of electrons in a circuit. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to How Does Voltage Drop Across a Resistor?

What is voltage drop across resistors?

Voltage drop across resistors is the decrease in voltage that occurs as electric current passes through a resistor. This is due to the conversion of electrical energy into heat as the current encounters resistance.

What causes voltage drop across resistors?

Voltage drop across resistors is caused by the resistance of the material the current is passing through. This resistance creates a barrier to the flow of current, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

How is voltage drop across resistors calculated?

Voltage drop across resistors can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V = IR.

Why is voltage drop across resistors important?

Voltage drop across resistors is important because it affects the amount of current flowing in a circuit. Too much voltage drop can result in a decrease in the efficiency of the circuit, while too little voltage drop can cause damage to components.

How can voltage drop across resistors be reduced?

Voltage drop across resistors can be reduced by using resistors with lower resistance values or by using multiple resistors in parallel. Additionally, using thicker and shorter wires can also decrease the overall resistance and reduce the voltage drop.