How Does VO2 Max Prediction Work in Fitness Testing?

• Thread starter X_Art_X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses a fitness course and an exercise that predicts a person's V02 Max based on physiological responses to exercise. The procedure involves recording weight and resting heart rate, and using an equation to predict V02 Max in units of mL.kg-1.min-1. The conversation also includes questions on the purpose of measuring weight and using both resting and working heart rates.
X_Art_X
Hi Guys,
I'm doing a fitness course, and trying to understand an exercise in my textbook
involving the prediction of a person's volume of Oxygen uptake.
The test is done in an indirect way, predicting V02 Max based on physiological responses to exercise.

The Procedure goes like this:

1. Record the client's weight in kilograms, and record their resting heart rate.

2. Instruct the client to step up and down to a metronome at a rate of 22 steps per minute.

3. Once 3 minutes has elapsed, measure the client's heart rate for 15 seconds, and multiply
that figure by 4, to give a heart rate in BPM (beats per minute).

4. Use the following equation to obtain a predicted V02 Max in l.min-1:VO2 max (mL.kg-1.min-1) = 65.81 - (0.1847 hr bpm)Now note that the -1 in the textbook is a small "to the power of" style of printing set to
the top right of the character to it's left, just like the 2 in O2 is a small 2 printed to the bottom right of the O.
Also there is a dot over the V which I know means that this volume is to be expressed per unit of time.

Now I'm no math guru, but:
1. Why do we measure the client's weight at all?
2. Why do we take resting and working heart rate and only appear to use one?
3. What does this equation mean in English?

Cheers, Art.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Photo of the textbook:

VO2Max.jpg

I'd assume [tex]O_2[/tex] is Oxygen, and [tex]kg^{-1}[/tex] means "per kilogram" (i.e. inverse kilograms = [tex]\frac{1}{kg}[/tex].

X_Art_X said:
VO2 max (mL.kg-1.min-1) = 65.81 - (0.1847 hr bpm)

1. Why do we measure the client's weight at all?
2. Why do we take resting and working heart rate and only appear to use one?
3. What does this equation mean in English?

Hi Art! :smile:

3. It means "the maximum rate-of-change" (that's the dot, of course) "of the volume of oxygen (measured in units of millilitres per kg per minute) equals 65.81 minus the heart rate (in beats per minute)"

1. Because the LHS of the formula says "per kg", so you have to put the weight in. :wink:

2. don't know :redface:

Related to How Does VO2 Max Prediction Work in Fitness Testing?

1. What is an expression?

An expression is a combination of numbers, symbols, and/or variables that represents a mathematical or logical calculation. It can also refer to a phrase or statement that conveys an idea or emotion.

2. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression does not have an equal sign and cannot be solved, whereas an equation has an equal sign and can be solved for a specific value.

3. Can an expression have more than one variable?

Yes, an expression can have multiple variables. For example, 5x + 3y is an expression with two variables, x and y.

4. What is the purpose of using parentheses in an expression?

Parentheses are used to group operations and indicate the order in which they should be performed. This is important in more complex expressions with multiple operations.

5. Can an expression be simplified?

Yes, in some cases an expression can be simplified by combining like terms or using algebraic rules. However, not all expressions can be simplified and some may require further manipulation to solve for a specific value.