How Does Varying Charge Affect Initial Acceleration of Point Charges?

In summary, the initial acceleration of the released charge in both scenarios will be Ao, as the charges are equal and will repel each other. In the second scenario, the acceleration of the charge with a larger charge (2q) will also be Ao, as the masses are equal but the charges are different. This is due to the inverse relationship between mass and acceleration in the equation F=ma.
pimster987
Q1. If two point charges have equal mass and and charg are released on a frictionless table, each has an initial acceleration (Ao). if instead you keep one fixed and release the other one, what will be its initial acceleration?Ao,2Ao or Ao/2?

Q2. A point charge of mass (m) and charge (q) and another point charge of mass (m) but charge (2q) are released on a frictionless table. If the charge (q) has an initial acceleration (Ao), what will be the acceleration of (2q)?Ao, 2Ao, 4Ao,Ao/2, or Ao/4?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've tried and what you know that might be relevant to the problem.

Q1 Since both charges are the same they will repel one another. So I was comparing this problem to a ping pong ball problem I had in Physics I, when the force of the wall equals the force of the ball thrown. Wouldn't the acceleration just be Ao?

Q2 Since F=ma the mass is proportional to the acceleration therefore the acceleration should be 2Ao.

1. I believe you're correct

2. Look at that equation carefully: the mass is not proportional to the acceleration.

They are inversely proportional so the acceleration should be Ao/2?

You're right that in F=ma, the mass and acceleration are inversely proportional. But what are the masses of the two particles?

i think you are wrong guys, because it's an electric force not an applied force.
so the acceleration = Ao . o:)

i think you are wrong guys, because it's an electric force not an applied force.
so the acceleration = Ao .
[they have the same acceleration ]

Related to How Does Varying Charge Affect Initial Acceleration of Point Charges?

1. What is the definition of point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept used in physics to represent a particle with a finite amount of charge concentrated at a single point in space.

2. How is the acceleration of a point charge calculated?

The acceleration of a point charge can be calculated using Newton's second law, F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the charge, m is the mass of the charge, and a is the acceleration.

3. Can point charges have a negative acceleration?

Yes, point charges can have a negative acceleration. This means that the charge is either slowing down or changing direction in a way that is opposite to its current motion.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect their acceleration?

The acceleration of two point charges is directly proportional to the inverse square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges decreases, their acceleration increases.

5. Can point charges have an acceleration of zero?

Yes, point charges can have an acceleration of zero if the net force acting on them is also zero. This can occur if the charges are at rest or if they are moving at a constant velocity in a straight line.