How does tyre rotation increase air pressure?

In summary: An under inflated tyre will also have a larger difference (angle) between round and flat. This creates more heat and is the reason an underinflated tyre has a higher probability of a blow out."In summary, when a car is driven at high speeds, the pressure of the air inside the tyre increases. This is because the friction between the tyre and the road surface increases, and heat is transferred to the inside of the tyre radially.
polka129
the pressure of air inside a car tyre increases when the car is traveled at HIGH SPEEDS?why is this so?my guess is that at high speeds,the friction between the tyre and road surface increases..so kinetic energy is dissipated as heat energy due to friction.this heat is transfers to the inside of the tyre RADIALLY by conduction and consequently the temperature of air increases thereby increasing its pressure because the volume is constant..

am i correct?.

thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Describing it as "friction" is a bit misleading. There is always a "flattened" area of the tire in contact with the road (because the total contact area, times the air pressure, is what supports the weight of the car.) As the wheel turns, each point of the tire has to bend from "round" to "flattened" and back to "round" again. The material of the tire is not perfectly elastic, and the bending generates heat in the tire material. The same amount of heat is generated in each revolution of the wheel, so heat generated per second is proportional to the wheel RPM, or the car's speed.

Some of the heat generated is conducted through the tire to heat up the air inside, increasing the pressure, and the rest is transferred to the air outside the tire.

thank you for your reply sir .quite enlightening.however they stimulate me with some more queries,

"There is always a "flattened" area of the tire in contact with the road (because the total contact area, times the air pressure, is what supports the weight of the car.)"-->does the total flat contact area make it necessary for the contacting area of tyre to be FLAT?

and you mean that as the number of RPM increase the temperature increases because the round section that comes in contact with the road EVERY second increases?

Like bending a piece of wire... The more often you bend it, the more heat you get.

An under inflated tyre will also have a larger difference (angle) between round and flat. This creates more heat and is the reason an underinflated tyre has a higher probability of a blow out.

Related to How does tyre rotation increase air pressure?

1. How does tyre rotation increase air pressure?

Tyre rotation does not directly increase air pressure. Instead, it helps to distribute the air evenly throughout the tyre, which can help maintain the correct air pressure and prevent uneven wear.

2. Why is it important to rotate tyres?

Tyre rotation is important because it can help prolong the life of your tyres and improve overall vehicle performance. By evenly distributing the wear and tear on the tyres, it can also improve fuel efficiency and handling.

3. How often should I rotate my tyres?

The recommended frequency for tyre rotation varies, but it is generally recommended to rotate your tyres every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. However, this can also depend on your vehicle's make and model, as well as your driving habits.

4. Can I rotate my own tyres?

While it is possible to rotate your own tyres, it is recommended to have a professional mechanic do it for you. They have the necessary equipment and experience to properly rotate tyres and check for any other potential issues.

5. Does tyre rotation affect wheel alignment?

Tyre rotation does not directly affect wheel alignment, but it can indirectly impact it. If your tyres are not rotated regularly, it can lead to uneven wear and tear, which can then affect wheel alignment. Therefore, regular tyre rotation can help maintain proper wheel alignment.