How Does Trigonometry Determine the Height in a Ballistic Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometry and Fig. 2 in the ballistic pendulum write-up to determine the height h the pendulum rises after capturing the ball. The equation for h is given by h=R(1-cosθ) and the conversation explores how to prove that cos(θ) will be a negative number in this instance, resulting in an increase in height. The conversation concludes with the realization that the question has been answered.
nathancurtis11

Homework Statement

Using trigonometry and Fig. 2 in the ballistic pendulum write-up, show that the height h the pendulum rises after capturing the ball is given by: h=R(1-cosθ)

Figure two is here: http://imgur.com/W9nvVZT

Homework Equations

h=R(1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in order for the height to increase I understand that R is the length of the pendulum. θ is the maximum deflection, so since R can't be negative that means cos(θ) must return a negative answer in order for the height to increase. So how do I prove that cos(θ) in this instance will be a negative number, thus making the height increase.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an idiot and figured this question out the second I hit submit, so nevermind I got it! Not sure how to delete a post or if I just let it go!

If you had been an idiot, you wouldn't have found it out by yourself, nor would the best teacher in the world (not me!) been able to make you understand.
So, conclusion:
You are not an idiot after all! :smile:

Related to How Does Trigonometry Determine the Height in a Ballistic Pendulum?

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by observing the swing of a pendulum after the projectile strikes it. It is commonly used in physics experiments to determine the velocity of a bullet or other small object.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

When a projectile, such as a bullet, hits the pendulum, it transfers some of its kinetic energy to the pendulum. This causes the pendulum to swing to a higher height than before the collision. By measuring the change in height of the pendulum, we can calculate the velocity of the projectile using the conservation of energy equation.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the projectile, the mass and length of the pendulum, and the angle at which the projectile strikes the pendulum. Friction and air resistance can also have an impact on the accuracy of the results.

4. What are the applications of a ballistic pendulum?

Ballistic pendulums are commonly used in physics experiments and laboratories to measure the velocity of projectiles. They can also be used in forensics to determine the velocity of a bullet in a crime scene investigation. Additionally, they have been used in the past to measure the muzzle velocity of firearms.

5. What are the limitations of a ballistic pendulum?

One limitation of a ballistic pendulum is that it can only measure the velocity of a projectile that is small enough to be stopped by the pendulum. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and human error in measuring the change in height of the pendulum. It is also limited to measuring the velocity in one direction and cannot take into account lateral velocity or other vectors.