How does transformer taps work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rated voltage of a transformer and how it works. The individual initially thought the voltage was 13,200 V but then realized it was actually 200/480 V. They also mention that they often make mistakes when sleep-deprived. The conversation also mentions a specific type of transformer, a 110 -> 220V transformer, that was useful in a developing country. However, they acknowledge that the nameplate did not specify it as a distribution transformer.
janu203
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
In the question below i know 200/480 V is rated voltage at primary and secondary side of a transformer, but '13' is what i do not know. Also how does the solution work out? i have tried every possible thing. Thanks(Sorry if i could not phrase my question in accordance to the pattern)

upload_2017-12-4_14-42-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-4_14-42-38.png
    upload_2017-12-4_14-42-38.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not 13, 200 but 13200 V

Likes janu203
BvU said:
It is not 13, 200 but 13200 V
omg! what was i thinking. Lack of sleep yesterday night may be causing this weird behavior .

janu203 said:
omg! what was i thinking. Lack of sleep yesterday night may be causing this weird behavior .
Possibly:wink:.
I often make ridiculous arithmatic mistakes when I am sleep-deprived.

In practice, distribution transformers are always step-down transformers, so you won't find any 200/480 transformer.

I had good use for a 110 -> 220V transformer while living in a developing country...
But I grant that the nameplate didn't say 'distribution transformer':smile:

Related to How does transformer taps work?

1. How do transformer taps work?

Transformer taps work by allowing the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils of a transformer to be altered, which changes the transformer's turns ratio. This results in a change in the output voltage of the transformer.

2. What is the purpose of transformer taps?

The purpose of transformer taps is to provide flexibility in adjusting the output voltage of a transformer. This is particularly useful in situations where the input voltage varies, and a consistent output voltage is required.

3. How do you change the transformer taps?

Transformer taps can be changed by physically moving the tap connection point on the transformer's windings. This can be done manually or through automatic tap changers, which are controlled by a voltage regulator.

4. What is the effect of changing transformer taps?

Changing transformer taps can result in a change in the output voltage of the transformer, which in turn affects the electrical characteristics of the system it is connected to. This can include changes in power flow, voltage regulation, and system stability.

5. How do you determine which transformer tap to use?

The appropriate transformer tap to use depends on the specific application and the desired output voltage. This can be determined by performing calculations based on the transformer's turns ratio and the input and output voltages. In some cases, trial and error may be necessary to find the optimal tap setting.