How Does Torque Affect the Movement of Unequal Weights on a Wheel?

• Thread starter botagar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the speaker has two situations involving two weights connected by a cable and hung around a wheel. They want to know how fast the weights would accelerate and what top speed they would reach if a motor with 40Nm of torque is connected to the wheel. In the second situation, the weights are not equal and the speaker wants to know what torque motor is needed to move the heavier weight upwards at 2m/s. The speaker is unsure if these questions are answerable and is asking for help. They also mention that the radius of the wheel is 1m and these questions are related to vertical shaft mines. They provide calculations for the first question and state that the
botagar
I tried a google search on the question I am about to ask but i get everything except for what i want... :(

I have 2 situations:
i have 2 16Tonne weights connected to each other via cable, and then hung around a wheel so that the 2 weights hang side by side with no movement. If i then connect a motor which produces 40Nm of Torque to the wheel (assume no loss in any of the mechanical compartments), how fast would the weight accelerate and what top speed would they have (if that's even possible to calculate). (yes, one weight would go down and the other go up).

Situation 2:
similar to the one above except now the weights ARE NOT equal, one is 16T and the other 12T. What torque motor would i need to get the 16T weight moving upwards at 2m/s ?

To be honest, i thought i could do this when i was asked to do something similar, but when i sat down to do it, i was lost. It's been a while since i have done any physics and as i said, google gave me nothing useful from what i could tell.

Are these questions even answerable?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
These calcs are doable?

Not without the radius of the wheel.

torque = force * radius
weight = mass * 9.8 m/s²

For your second question the answer has units of power, not torque.
power = force * velocity

sorry yes, radius of wheel is 1m, (2m diameter).

These both are hypothetical but potentially real questions with regards to vertical shaft mines. An elevator system if you like.

So, in the case of
1), 40 = F * 1 = 40N --> so it takes 40N of force to move it 1m/s ?

as for 2), if i can get 1), 2 is not needed.

for case 1)

I think an acceleration of even 1m/s should be sufficient

Related to How Does Torque Affect the Movement of Unequal Weights on a Wheel?

1. How does the placement of the weights affect the wheel's balance?

The placement of the weights on the wheel affects its balance by changing the center of mass. If the weights are placed evenly on opposite sides of the wheel, the center of mass remains in the center and the wheel will remain balanced. However, if the weights are placed unevenly, the center of mass will shift and the wheel may become unbalanced.

2. What is the purpose of hanging weights off a wheel?

The purpose of hanging weights off a wheel is to study the effects of changing the center of mass on an object's balance. This is important in understanding concepts such as stability and equilibrium.

3. How do the weights affect the rotation of the wheel?

The weights affect the rotation of the wheel by changing the distribution of mass. If the weights are placed on the outer edges of the wheel, they will increase the rotational inertia and make it harder to spin the wheel. If the weights are placed closer to the center, they will decrease the rotational inertia and make it easier to spin the wheel.

4. Does the weight of the wheel itself affect the balance?

Yes, the weight of the wheel itself can affect its balance. If the wheel is too heavy, it may be more difficult to spin and maintain balance. If the wheel is too light, it may be more easily affected by external forces and lose its balance.

5. How can we use the results of this experiment in real-world applications?

The results of this experiment can be applied in real-world situations such as designing structures or vehicles that require stability and balance. By understanding how changes in center of mass and weight distribution can affect balance, engineers can create more efficient and stable designs.