How Does Torque Affect Acceleration in a Rotating Disk System?

In summary, the problem involves a disk with a radius of 8.0 cm and a rotational inertia of 0.12 kg m2 that is free to rotate on a horizontal axis. A string is attached to the disk and a 10-kg mass hangs from the other end. A torque of 9.0 N m is applied to the disk using a crank. The question is asking for the acceleration of the mass. By applying Newton's Second Law for linear and rotational motion and using the relationship between linear and angular acceleration, the solution can be found. The answer is (F*r - mgr)/((I/r) + m).
breez

Homework Statement

An 8.0-cm radius disk with a rotational inertia of 0.12 kg m2 is free to rotate on a horizontal axis. A string is fastened to the surface of the disk and a 10-kg mass hangs from the other end. The mass is raised by using a crank to apply a 9.0-N m torque to the disk. The acceleration of the mass is:

Homework Equations

torque = I(ang. accel)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. I tried solving for the angular acceleration, but I don't know how to connect the acceleration of the mass to the acceleration of the disk.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi#cmi

and

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi - general formulae

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#rq - rotational quantities.

Given: 8.0-cm radius disk, so r = 0.08 m
rotational inertia of 0.12 kg-m2, so I = 0.12 kg-m2

Find the appropriate expression for I of a disk.

The disk is rotating on a horizontal axis. The suspended mass has a weight pulling it down, and the crank applies a torque to the disk and suspended weight at moment r.

What is the net moment on the suspended mass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the moment arm of the force assumed to be r? From the question, I thought the string was attached to an arbitrary point on the disc, and a crank was spinning the mass on the other end of the string.

I don't know how to calculate the net moment. It seems that the net moment would depend on the length of the string.

Last edited:
The linear acceleration of the mass should be the same as that of the disk. If we just find the linear acceleration of the disk with net torque 9 Nm, we get the answer.

I think the answer is 6 m/s^2

The general idea how to solve these problems is the following:

Apply Newtons Second Law in Linear Motion --> Sum F = m*a
Apply Newtons Second Law for Rotational Motion --> Sum Torque = I * alpha

In any closed system there is the relationship that a = r*alpha, which means that the linear acceleration is the same for both the mass and the disk.

I believe that if you use those two steps it will be easier to understand whether your answer is correct or not.

I suspect that your answer is incorrect there should be torque from both the force that the gravity force of the mass(each in opposite directions)

Anyone have a possible solution? I feel this problem is impossible. The acceleration of the mass would undoubtedly be dependent on the length of string.

Like i said above:
For the mass hanging on the string:
Sum F = m*a <=> T- mg = ma --> T = ma + mg

For the disk:
Sum Torque = I*alpha --> F*r - T*r = I * alpha or F*r - T*r = I*a/r

Substituting the value of the Tension we have above, we get:

F*r - (ma+mg)*r = I*a/r ==> a = (F*r - mgr)/((I/r) + m)

Now as much as i would like to plug in values i am usually satisfied with the variable solution only. I hope this helps!

Related to How Does Torque Affect Acceleration in a Rotating Disk System?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object, causing it to rotate around an axis. In the case of a mass on a disk, torque is the force that causes the disk to rotate.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In the case of a mass on a disk, the force is the weight of the mass and the distance is the radius of the disk.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by the equation: Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration. This means that the torque applied to an object is directly proportional to its moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

4. How does the mass affect the torque on a disk?

The mass of the object on a disk does not directly affect the torque. However, the mass does contribute to the moment of inertia, which is a factor in the calculation of torque. A larger mass will result in a larger moment of inertia and thus a larger torque.

5. Can torque on a disk be negative?

Yes, torque on a disk can be negative. This means that the force applied to the object is causing it to rotate in the opposite direction. In other words, the rotation is in the opposite direction of the applied force.