How Does Tilting the Screen Affect the Double Slit Interference Pattern?

In summary, the professor is asking for the smallest angle that the second screen can be tilted to make the first minimum become a maximum.
siifuthun
A vertical screen has two narrow slits separated by distance d. A
second screen, parallel to the first, is a distance L away (L>>d) and
displays the first minimum of the two slit interference pattern a height
h above the horizontal line drawn from the center of the slits to the
second screen. What is the smallest angle that the second screen be
tilted to make that minimum become a maximum?

I think that what they're asking for is what angle do we tilt the screen so that a maximum occurs at height h. In that case, if we were to slant the screen towards the slits, would the angle that the second screen is moved be equal to the angle between the two slits? If that's the case, then do we just solve for dsin(theta) = n*lambda?

Or would I need make the distance that these two rays travel equal to 1 wavelength by adding another 1/2 wavelength by slanting the screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
siifuthun said:
A vertical screen has two narrow slits separated by distance d. A
second screen, parallel to the first, is a distance L away (L>>d) and
displays the first minimum of the two slit interference pattern a height
h above the horizontal line drawn from the center of the slits to the
second screen. What is the smallest angle that the second screen be
tilted to make that minimum become a maximum?
I think that what they're asking for is what angle do we tilt the screen so that a maximum occurs at height h. In that case, if we were to slant the screen towards the slits, would the angle that the second screen is moved be equal to the angle between the two slits? If that's the case, then do we just solve for dsin(theta) = n*lambda?
Or would I need make the distance that these two rays travel equal to 1 wavelength by adding another 1/2 wavelength by slanting the screen?
I don't see how you would get a maximum at the position of first minima by tilting the screen. To get the first maximum, you would need to make that point on the screen at a greater height above the horizontal line between the centre of the slits to the screen. By tilting it, you will only make it decrease.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I don't see how you would get a maximum at the position of first minima by tilting the screen. To get the first maximum, you would need to make that point on the screen at a greater height above the horizontal line between the centre of the slits to the screen. By tilting it, you will only make it decrease.
AM

Hmm, I don't know, I was a bit confused as to what the professor was asking, he made up this problem and didn't check for any errors before posting it as a practice for the midterm. We're going to go over in discussion today, so maybe that'll help.

Related to How Does Tilting the Screen Affect the Double Slit Interference Pattern?

1. What is double slit interference?

Double slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through two narrow slits that are very close together. The light waves diffract and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. What causes double slit interference?

Double slit interference is caused by the wave nature of light. When light passes through the two slits, the waves overlap and interfere with each other. This interference results in the formation of the characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes.

3. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, plays a crucial role in double slit interference. The smaller the slit separation, the greater the amount of interference and the narrower the fringes. Conversely, a larger slit separation results in less interference and wider fringes.

4. Can double slit interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double slit interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound, water, and electromagnetic waves. As long as the waves have a wavelength that is comparable to the slit separation, interference can occur.

5. How is double slit interference used in scientific research?

Double slit interference is a fundamental principle of wave behavior and has been used in various areas of research, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It has also been used to study the wave-particle duality of light and to measure the wavelength of light sources.