How Does Throwing a Ball from a Moving Truck Affect Its Velocity to an Observer?

In summary: So how would you go about calculating the velocity of the ball relative to the truck if Vte is 20 and Vbt is 12?Ok so would it be this?Vbe = 20 + 15I'm sorry I'm a bit slow with questions like...this. So how would you go about calculating the velocity of the ball relative to the truck if Vte is 20 and Vbt is 12?
CursedAntagonis

Homework Statement

A student is riding in the back of a truck traveling along a straight level road at Vt = 20 m/s. He faces toward the rear of the truck and throws a ball with a velocity of 15 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal relative to the truck. He releases the ball 2.0 meters above the ground level. Ignore air resistance.

What is the horizontal velocity of the ball relative to an observer at roadside?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start this.

I am assuming I need to find the balls horizontal velocity and subtract it from the initial 20 m/s since the student threw the ball in the opposite direction. Then figure out the horizontal velocity relative to the observer...

Physics news on Phys.org
CursedAntagonis said:
I am assuming I need to find the balls horizontal velocity and subtract it from the initial 20 m/s since the student threw the ball in the opposite direction. Then figure out the horizontal velocity relative to the observer...
Sounds good to me, so how would you go about finding the horizontal velocity of the ball relative to the truck?

As an aside, I think it would be a good idea to set up a definite coordinate system. Let's say that the truck is traveling in the positive x direction and the boy throws the ball in the negative x direction.

Hootenanny said:
Sounds good to me, so how would you go about finding the horizontal velocity of the ball relative to the truck?

As an aside, I think it would be a good idea to set up a definite coordinate system. Let's say that the truck is traveling in the positive x direction and the boy throws the ball in the negative x direction.

Gotcha. The problem provided me with a diagram (I was not aware if I am allowed to simply scan the problem and post it so I figured I should not risk it) The truck is going in the positive X velocity and the ball is thrown in the negative X velocity.

I found the horizontal velocity to be approximately 12 m/s by setting Cos37 = x/15...is that correct?

I was wondering how I could set this up in variables? then plugging in the numbers. My teacher likes us to work out the problems with the variables and finding the answer that way prior to just punching in numbers.

CursedAntagonis said:
Gotcha. The problem provided me with a diagram (I was not aware if I am allowed to simply scan the problem and post it so I figured I should not risk it) The truck is going in the positive X velocity and the ball is thrown in the negative X velocity.
I don't see there being any copyright issues, I'm sure this falls under fair-usage.
CursedAntagonis said:
I found the horizontal velocity to be approximately 12 m/s by setting Cos37 = x/15...is that correct?
Sounds good to me (although I'd keep a few more sf's for the full calculation).
CursedAntagonis said:
I was wondering how I could set this up in variables? then plugging in the numbers. My teacher likes us to work out the problems with the variables and finding the answer that way prior to just punching in numbers.
If your finding it difficult to set up an equation, it is often easier to start with a word equation;

vobserver = vtruck + vx ball

Can you go from here?

Could I set it up as this?

Vbe = velocity of the ball relative to earth
Vte = velocity of the truck relative to earth
Vbt = Velocity of the ball relative to the truck

so I get Vbe = Vte - Vbt which in return gives me the velocity of the ball relative to the observer...

did I get this right or am I way off?

CursedAntagonis said:
Could I set it up as this?

Vbe = velocity of the ball relative to earth
Vte = velocity of the truck relative to earth
Vbt = Velocity of the ball relative to the truck

so I get Vbe = Vte - Vbt which in return gives me the velocity of the ball relative to the observer...

did I get this right or am I way off?
Your spot on except for the sign, note that the ball's velocity relative to the truck will be negative. So now all you need to do is correct the sign and sub in your values.

Hootenanny said:
Your spot on except for the sign, note that the ball's velocity relative to the truck will be negative. So now all you need to do is correct the sign and sub in your values.

Ok so would it be this?

Vbe = 20 + 15

so the velocity relative to the observer is going to be 35 m/s?

How come it's adding it and not subtracting it? I was assuming it would have to be 5 m/s.

I'm sorry I'm a bit slow with questions like these.

CursedAntagonis said:
Ok so would it be this?

Vbe = 20 + 15

so the velocity relative to the observer is going to be 35 m/s?

How come it's adding it and not subtracting it? I was assuming it would have to be 5 m/s.

I'm sorry I'm a bit slow with questions like these.
Close, but like I said above, your equation should be Vbe = Vte + Vbt with Vbt = -15m/s, which would give your 5m/s as you expected.

Hootenanny said:
Close, but like I said above, your equation should be Vbe = Vte + Vbt with Vbt = -15m/s, which would give your 5m/s as you expected.

Yes yes, I put that negative in the original equation as I was expecting the 15 to be negative. I guess that's how I ended up confusing you and myself =P

so the horizontal velocity of the ball relative to the observer is 5 m/s? That's what we found I hope lol.

The next question is With what velocity (magnitude and direction) is the ball projected as seen by the roadside observer?

I would have to use cos 37 = 5/v correct? which would give me 6.26 m/s. But the problem is that the ball is 2 m above (since the ball is thrown from the back of the truck)...

CursedAntagonis said:
Yes yes, I put that negative in the original equation as I was expecting the 15 to be negative. I guess that's how I ended up confusing you and myself =P
Yes, but if we used your equation with Vbt = -15m/s we would have;

Vbe = Vte - Vbt = 20 - (-15) = 20+15 = 35m/s

You should write your equations first and then just sub the values in as you have them. If you start messing around with signs in your equation your going to get yourself in trouble.
CursedAntagonis said:
so the horizontal velocity of the ball relative to the observer is 5 m/s? That's what we found I hope lol.
Sounds good to me
CursedAntagonis said:
The next question is With what velocity (magnitude and direction) is the ball projected as seen by the roadside observer?

I would have to use cos 37 = 5/v correct? which would give me 6.26 m/s.
Sounds good to me, just don't forget you quote your angle.
CursedAntagonis said:
But the problem is that the ball is 2 m above (since the ball is thrown from the back of the truck)...
Why would this affect the velocity?

Related to How Does Throwing a Ball from a Moving Truck Affect Its Velocity to an Observer?

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the motion of an object with respect to another object or observer. It takes into account the movement of both objects and their direction, and is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

How is relative velocity related to a truck?

The relative velocity of a truck refers to the speed and direction of the truck in relation to another object or observer. For example, if a truck is traveling at 50 km/h east and a person is standing still on the side of the road, the relative velocity of the truck to the person would be 50 km/h east.

Why is it important to understand the relative velocity of a truck?

Understanding the relative velocity of a truck is important for a number of reasons. It can help drivers make safe decisions while on the road, such as determining the appropriate speed to merge onto a highway or to pass another vehicle. It is also important in the field of accident reconstruction, where relative velocity can help determine the cause and severity of a collision.

How is relative velocity different from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects or an object and an observer, while absolute velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. In other words, relative velocity is measured from a moving reference frame, while absolute velocity is measured from a stationary reference frame.

What factors can affect the relative velocity of a truck?

The relative velocity of a truck can be affected by a number of factors, including the speed and direction of the truck, the speed and direction of another object or observer, and any external forces acting on the truck, such as wind or friction. It can also be affected by the relative motion of the reference frame, such as a moving road or a rotating Earth.