How Does Thermodynamics Explain Power Generation in Motorcycle Engines?

In summary: Refer to this site for a visual:In summary, the average power involved in this expansion is 860 watts assuming that the gauge pressure immediately after combustion is 15.0 atm, the initial volume is 50.0 cm^3, and the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke is 250 cm^3.
Kelvin
In a motorcycle engine, after combustion occurs in the top of the cylinder, the piston is forced down as the mixture of gaseous products undergoes an adiabatic expansion. Find the average power involved in this expansion when the engine is running at 4000 rpm, assuming that the gauge pressure immediately after combustion is 15.0 atm, the initial volume is 50.0 cm[tex]^3[/tex], and the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke is 250 cm[tex]^3[/tex]. Assume that the gases are diatomic and that the time involved in the expansion is one-half that of the total cycle.

I know work done in adiabatic process is
[tex]W=\frac{p_2 V_2 - p_1 V_1}{\gamma - 1}[/tex]

and for adiabatic process,
[tex]p_1 V_1^{\gamma} = p_2 V_2^{\gamma}[/tex]

so [tex]V_1 = 50.0 \hbox{ cm^3}[/tex], [tex]p_1 = 15.0 \hbox{ atm}[/tex],
[tex]\gamma = \frac{7}{5}[/tex]

but what is the final volume [tex]V_2[/tex], which I need to determine [tex]p_2[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kelvin said:
... the initial volume is 50.0 cm[tex]^3[/tex], and the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke is 250 cm[tex]^3[/tex].
Isn't the final volume given?

actually, I don't even know what a motorcycle is, and how the cylinder looks like ...

what is meant by "the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke" ?

the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke is the final Volume

This is a motorcycle :bugeye:

sorry, I made typo mistakes
I mean I don't know how "motorcycle engine" works, and how does the "cyclinder" looks like...

so the assumption that "the expansion is one-half that of the total cycle" is wrong? it should be 1/4 ?

oh...I've found the answer :D
so...let me redo the problem

oh I got it correct
thanks a lot
my "picture of engine" is completely wrong ...

Related to How Does Thermodynamics Explain Power Generation in Motorcycle Engines?

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to motorcycles?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. In motorcycles, thermodynamics is important because the engine relies on the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy to power the bike.

2. How does the thermodynamics of a motorcycle engine work?

The thermodynamics of a motorcycle engine involves the combustion of fuel and air in the combustion chamber, which creates high pressure and temperature. This pressure and temperature then expand and create a force that moves the piston, which in turn powers the crankshaft and moves the motorcycle.

3. What are the key factors in optimizing the thermodynamics of a motorcycle engine?

The key factors in optimizing the thermodynamics of a motorcycle engine include managing the air-fuel ratio, maximizing compression ratio, and minimizing heat loss. These factors help to improve the efficiency and performance of the engine.

4. How does thermodynamics affect the efficiency and performance of a motorcycle?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the efficiency and performance of a motorcycle. By optimizing the thermodynamics of the engine, the bike can achieve better fuel efficiency, produce more power, and run smoother.

5. How can thermodynamics be used to improve the design of motorcycles?

Thermodynamics can be used to improve the design of motorcycles by helping to create more efficient and powerful engines. By understanding the principles of thermodynamics, engineers can design engines with better fuel economy, reduced emissions, and improved performance.