How does the wavelength of a wave affect diffraction and why is it important?

• Thread starter primarygun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Wave
Therefore, the frequency is 166.67n.In summary, the conversation discusses the possible rates at which a fan's blades can rotate, as well as the relationship between frequency and wavelength in waves passing from shallow to deep regions. The main question is whether the given choices for the fan's rotation rate are correct, and the conversation also touches on the concept of period and frequency in waves. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the principles behind the topics being discussed.
primarygun
I list the question one by one. I hope this is a good arrangment.
1.The blades of a fan is rotating in an anti-clockwise direction. Its motion is frozen with a strobe frquency of 1000 Hz without a change in appearance. Which of the following is not a possible rate at which the wheel is rotating?
There are six slits on the fan.
A.200 revolution per second.
B.500 rev. per second.
C.2000 revolution per second.
2.Why the wavelength of a wave increase when it passes from a shallow region to a deep region? Does the amplitude change?
3.Why the wavelength of a wave increase when it passes from a shallow region to a deep region? Does the amplitude change?
4. Why does the wavelength of a wave play a very important role in diffraction?
If the wavelength is bigger than the hole passing through, a very circular wave is produced while a very straight wave is produced if the hole is big enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read the 'sticky'? Show us what you have tried so we will know what kinds of hints you need.

OK. For the first one, actually, I suspect whether the choices are wrong.
For the other, the contents are not in my school's syllabus, so I don't have any idea.
Sorry!

Can anyone help me?

There is no paid staff waiting to help you. Please be patient.

primarygun said:
I list the question one by one. I hope this is a good arrangment.
1.The blades of a fan is rotating in an anti-clockwise direction. Its motion is frozen with a strobe frquency of 1000 Hz without a change in appearance. Which of the following is not a possible rate at which the wheel is rotating?
There are six slits on the fan.
A.200 revolution per second.
B.500 rev. per second.
C.2000 revolution per second.
This means that in 1/1000th of a second, the fan as moved an even multiple of 1/6th turns. So turns/sec = 1000* n/6.

Or, more formally:
[itex]\omega\Delta t = \omega/1000 = \theta = n*2\pi/6[/itex]
[itex]\omega = 2\pi f = n2\pi*1000/6[/itex].

So [itex]f = n*1000/6[/itex] where n is a whole number.

AM

Your answer is correct!
May I know what w and pi and theta are?
I don't know where I archieve to the wrong way, please tell me.
1/1000 s for one revolution, actually, our view is only blocked for 1/6000 s.
So there are 1/6000 s for the n complete wave to pass.
So I think (1/6000)/T =n T, the time required for one complete wave, Period.
Then I get f=6000n. (n: integer)
Why?

OK. I get it. However, would you explain it to me again?
According to the rule here, I shall tell you first in order to obey the law. :P
In (1/1000)s, the fan moves, ---> the slits moves a multiple of 1/6 n round(a complete revolution like a complete wave). That's mean there are (1/1000)s for it to move.
Period= (1/6 n)/(1/1000)s

Last edited:

Related to How does the wavelength of a wave affect diffraction and why is it important?

1. What causes fan blade waves?

Fan blade waves, also known as flutter, are caused by aerodynamic forces acting on the blades. These forces can create vibrations that propagate through the fan blades, resulting in the characteristic wave pattern.

2. Are fan blade waves dangerous?

Fan blade waves can be dangerous if left unchecked, as they can cause excessive vibrations and potentially lead to blade failure. However, modern fan blades are designed and tested to withstand these forces and prevent any dangerous situations from occurring.

3. Can fan blade waves be prevented?

Yes, fan blade waves can be prevented through proper design and testing. Engineers use various methods such as adjusting blade stiffness, airfoil shape, and spacing between blades to minimize the effects of aerodynamic forces and prevent flutter.

4. How are fan blade waves detected?

Fan blade waves can be detected through various methods such as visual inspections, vibration monitoring, and strain gauges. These techniques can help identify any potential flutter and allow for corrective measures to be taken before it becomes a safety concern.

5. Are all fan blades susceptible to waves?

No, not all fan blades are susceptible to waves. The likelihood of flutter depends on various factors such as blade design, operating conditions, and material properties. Proper design and testing can help reduce the risk of fan blade waves.