How Does the Time Evolution of Expectation Shape Scientific Understanding?

I don't know what I was thinking.In summary, the quantum mechanical expectation values for a three dimensional wave packet evolve with time according to the Ehrenfest theorem. By manipulating the relevant equations, it can be shown that the derivative of the expectation value of x squared is equal to 1/m times the sum of <xp_x> and <p_xx>.
OGrowli

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about how quantum mechanical expectation values evolve with time? If so, then it evolves according to the differential equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}<{\psi}|O|{\psi}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<{\psi}|[H,O]|{\psi}> + <{\psi}|\frac{{\partial}O}{{\partial}t}|{\psi}>[/tex]

With O being a Hermitian operator.

Last edited:
planck42 said:
Are you asking about how quantum mechanical expectation values evolve with time? If so, then it evolves according to the differential equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}<{\psi}|O|{\psi}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<{\psi}|[H,O]|{\psi}> + <{\psi}|\frac{{\partial}O}{{\partial}t}|{\psi}>[/tex]

With O being a Hermitian operator.

i don't know what happened to my original post, but I am having an issue with the following problem:

Show that:

\frac{d}{dt}<x^2> =\frac{1}{m}(< xp_x> +<p_xx>)

for a three dimensional wave packet.

relevant equations:

Ehrenfest Theorem:(1)
[tex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}<O>=<[O,H]>+i\hbar<\frac{\partial }{\partial t}O>[/tex]

where O is an operator
(2)
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*O\psi[/tex]

I tried using both ways illustrated above and I arrived at the same answer:

[tex]\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\bigtriangledown ^2(x^2\psi)-x^2\bigtriangledown ^2\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\frac{\partial }{\partial x}
(x^2\psi'+2x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[
2\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+(x^2-x^2)\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}\int_{V}d^3r[\psi ^*(-i\hbar)\psi+\psi^*x(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi+\psi^*(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})x\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}(<xp_x>+<p_xx>)-\frac{i\hbar}{m}[/tex]

Am I doing anything wrong? Where does the extra term come from, and does it mean anything?

nvm, I got it:

[tex]
=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\frac{\partial }{\partial x}
(x^2\psi'+2x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi]
[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+2\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}\int_{V}d^3r[\psi^*x(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi+\psi^*(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})x\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}(<xp_x>+<p_xx>)[/tex]

I went wrong thinking I could just rearrange the derivatives.

The concept of time evolution of expectation is a fundamental aspect of many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It refers to the changes in the expected value of a particular quantity over time, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of systems.

In physics, the time evolution of expectation is described by the laws of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. According to these laws, the expectation value of a physical observable, such as position or momentum, can change over time due to the inherent uncertainty of quantum systems.

In chemistry, the time evolution of expectation is essential in studying the dynamics of chemical reactions. The expected concentrations of reactants and products can change over time due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and catalysts. Understanding the time evolution of these expectations is crucial in designing and optimizing chemical processes.

In biology, the concept of time evolution of expectation is applied in studying the growth and development of living organisms. The expected traits and behaviors of an organism can change over time due to genetic and environmental factors. By understanding the time evolution of these expectations, scientists can gain insights into the mechanisms of evolution and adaptation.

Overall, the time evolution of expectation is a critical concept in science, and its study has led to significant advancements in various fields. By continuously monitoring and analyzing the changes in expectations over time, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and processes that govern our universe.

Related to How Does the Time Evolution of Expectation Shape Scientific Understanding?

1. What is the definition of "Time evolution of Expectation"?

The time evolution of expectation refers to how the expected value of a particular physical quantity changes over time in a given system or process.

2. How is the time evolution of expectation represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, the time evolution of expectation is represented by the expectation value of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function of a system changes over time.

3. What factors can affect the time evolution of expectation in a system?

The time evolution of expectation can be affected by various factors such as the initial state of the system, the Hamiltonian operator, and any external forces or interactions acting on the system.

4. Can the time evolution of expectation be experimentally observed?

Yes, the time evolution of expectation can be observed through various experiments and measurements, such as the measurement of quantum systems using superposition and entanglement.

5. How does the time evolution of expectation relate to the concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics?

The time evolution of expectation is closely related to the concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics, as it describes how the expected value of a physical quantity can change over time and may have a range of possible values. This is represented by the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the value of one variable, the less precisely we can know the value of its conjugate variable.