How Does the Sun's Motion Appear from Earth's Perspective?

In summary, the sun appears to move westward on a daily basis, but eastward through the stars on a yearly basis due to the effects of precession.
Freeman Dyson
Ok, so the sun appears to move westward on a daily basis. But eastward through the stars on a yearly basis. I am supposed to explain both the daily and yearly motion of the sun using a few paragraphs with definitions and diagrams.

For the year I basically have to explain and draw the sun's eliptic through the zodiac.

Using a diagram like this.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/john.lucey/users/solar_year.gif

My question is, what direction is the sun moving in this diagram? It appears to be moving westward but can't I tell by the RA that it is really moving east?

What it is really doing is lagging behind the stars right? Which makes it seem to drift eastward through them. And this is caused by precession?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Freeman Dyson said:
My question is, what direction is the sun moving in this diagram? It appears to be moving westward but can't I tell by the RA that it is really moving east?
You are looking at the diagram wrong.

Imagine that you are laying on the ground at night looking upwards at the stars, with your body aligned north-south. In particular, your head is pointing to the north while your feet are pointing to the south. East is off to your *left*, not right. If you draw a star chart based on how you see things, you will naturally get a diagram with north at the top of the chart, south at the bottom, east to the left, and west to the right. This is a mirror image of directions on a map, where east is to the right and west is to the left.

What it is really doing is lagging behind the stars right? Which makes it seem to drift eastward through them. And this is caused by precession?
Answering those questions at this stage of the discussion would be a violation of this site's rules. We are supposed to help you do your own homework rather than do your homework for you.

I can give you a hint: From the perspective of the Sun, the Earth is orbiting about the Sun, as are all the planets. From the perspective of the Earth, what is the Sun's motion?

D H said:
You are looking at the diagram wrong.

Imagine that you are laying on the ground at night looking upwards at the stars, with your body aligned north-south. In particular, your head is pointing to the north while your feet are pointing to the south. East is off to your *left*, not right. If you draw a star chart based on how you see things, you will naturally get a diagram with north at the top of the chart, south at the bottom, east to the left, and west to the right. This is a mirror image of directions on a map, where east is to the right and west is to the left.Answering those questions at this stage of the discussion would be a violation of this site's rules. We are supposed to help you do your own homework rather than do your homework for you.

I can give you a hint: From the perspective of the Sun, the Earth is orbiting about the Sun, as are all the planets. From the perspective of the Earth, what is the Sun's motion?

Thank you. The direction had been confusing me. So east will always be on the left on that diagram?

The sun's motion appears to be westward across the sky on a daily basis... The "lagging" behind the sun is because of the Earth's orbit around the sun... We are losing a degree a day due to Earth's rotation in orbit around the sun. The Earth has to rotate a little more to keep track with the sun then it does to keep track with the stars. Is what I have just described the effects of precession?

Last edited:

Related to How Does the Sun's Motion Appear from Earth's Perspective?

1. Why does the sun appear to move across the sky throughout the year?

The annual motion of the sun is an illusion caused by the Earth's orbit around the sun. As the Earth rotates on its axis, it also revolves around the sun, making it appear as though the sun is moving across the sky.

2. What causes the change in the sun's position in the sky during different seasons?

The tilt of the Earth's axis is the main factor in the changing position of the sun in the sky. The Earth's axis is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees, causing different parts of the Earth to receive varying amounts of sunlight throughout the year.

3. How does the sun's annual motion affect the length of daylight?

The sun's annual motion has a significant impact on the length of daylight. During the summer months, when the sun is higher in the sky, there are more hours of daylight. In contrast, during the winter months, when the sun is lower in the sky, there are fewer hours of daylight.

4. How do scientists track the sun's annual motion?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to track the sun's annual motion. Some methods include using sundials, observing the changing of shadows, and using specialized equipment such as solar trackers and solar telescopes.

5. Is the sun's annual motion consistent every year?

While the sun's annual motion follows a predictable pattern, it is not entirely consistent every year. Factors such as the Earth's orbit and the sun's activity can affect the sun's position in the sky and the length of daylight. However, these variations are minor and do not significantly impact the overall annual motion of the sun.