How Does the Schwarz Inequality Apply to Fourier Coefficients in C[-pi, pi]?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, we discussed the set of continuous functions from [-pi,pi] to C, equipped with the usual inner product and corresponding norm. We also looked at the Fourier coefficient of a function and used the Schwarz inequality to show that |h(n)| is bounded by 1/sqrt(2pi) times the norm of the function. However, we made a small mistake in our calculations and the correct bound is just 1/sqrt(2pi) times the norm of the function, without the extra 1/pi factor.
Poirot1
Let C[-pi,pi] be the set of continuous function from [-pi,pi] to C. Endow this with usual inner product (<f,g>= integral from -pi to pi of f multiplied by g conjugate, and let ||.|| be the corresponding norm).
Let h(n) be Fourier coefficent of fNow, |h(n)|<_ 1/2pi( ||f||.||e^int||) by schwarz inequaity

=1/pi . 1/ 2^(0.5) ||f|| since ||e^int|| =(pi +pi)^0.5

Do you agree?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: use of schwarz inequality

Poirot said:
Let C[-pi,pi] be the set of continuous function from [-pi,pi] to C. Endow this with usual inner product (<f,g>= integral from -pi to pi of f multiplied by g conjugate, and let ||.|| be the corresponding norm).
Let h(n) be Fourier coefficent of fNow, |h(n)|<_ 1/2pi( ||f||.||e^int||) by schwarz inequaity

=1/pi . 1/ 2^(0.5) ||f|| since ||e^int|| =(pi +pi)^0.5

Do you agree?

Hi Poirot!

I agree, except for a small calculation mistake.

$$|h(n)| \le \frac 1{2\pi} (||f|| \cdot ||e^{int}||) = \frac 1{2\pi} (||f|| \cdot \sqrt{2\pi}) = \sqrt{2\pi}||f||$$

I like Serena said:
Hi Poirot!

I agree, except for a small calculation mistake.

Thanks for replying but I don't agree. We have (2pi)^0.5 multiplied by 1/(2pi). This is (2pi)^(-0.5), and not (2pi)^(0.5) as you suggest.

Poirot said:
Thanks for replying but I don't agree. We have (2pi)^0.5 multiplied by 1/(2pi). This is (2pi)^(-0.5), and not (2pi)^(0.5) as you suggest.

Ah, my bad - now I've made a similar mistake as well.

So it should be
$$|h(n)| \le \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}} ||f||$$
instead of the
$$|h(n)| \le \frac 1 \pi \cdot \frac 1 {2^{0.5}} ||f||$$
that you had.

I cannot simply agree or disagree with a statement without proper analysis and understanding. However, based on the information provided, it appears that the statement is using the Schwarz inequality to show that the Fourier coefficient of a function f, denoted by h(n), is bounded by a certain value. The Schwarz inequality is a mathematical tool that is commonly used to establish bounds on various mathematical objects, such as integrals and norms.

In this case, the Schwarz inequality is being applied to the norm of the function f and the norm of the exponential function e^int. The result obtained is that the Fourier coefficient h(n) is bounded by 1/pi times the square root of the norm of f. This is a valid application of the Schwarz inequality, as it is a general result that applies to any inner product space, which is the case for the set of continuous functions on the interval [-pi,pi] equipped with the given inner product.

However, it is important to note that the statement is using the Schwarz inequality to obtain an upper bound on the Fourier coefficient, which means that the actual value of h(n) may be smaller than the bound obtained. In other words, the inequality is not an equality and h(n) may be smaller than the expression on the right-hand side. Therefore, it is important to carefully interpret the result and not simply agree with it without understanding its implications.

In conclusion, the statement is a valid application of the Schwarz inequality and provides a bound on the Fourier coefficient of a function f. However, further analysis and understanding are needed to fully agree with the statement.

Related to How Does the Schwarz Inequality Apply to Fourier Coefficients in C[-pi, pi]?

1. What is the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical concept that states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors. In other words, it measures the relationship between the length of two vectors and the angle between them.

2. Where is the Schwarz inequality used?

The Schwarz inequality is used in various fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It has applications in vector calculus, signal processing, and probability theory, among others.

3. Why is the Schwarz inequality important?

The Schwarz inequality is important because it provides a useful tool for proving other mathematical theorems and solving various problems. It also has practical applications in real-world situations, such as in signal processing and data analysis.

4. How is the Schwarz inequality derived?

The Schwarz inequality can be derived using the properties of the inner product of two vectors and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for real numbers. It can also be derived using the concept of orthogonality in vector spaces.

5. Are there any variations of the Schwarz inequality?

Yes, there are several variations of the Schwarz inequality, such as the generalized Schwarz inequality and the Bessel's inequality. These variations have different conditions and applications, but all stem from the same fundamental concept of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.