How Does the Reaction Progress Affect Rate in a Second-Order Redox Reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a redox reaction that is second-order overall. The initial [NO2] is twice the initial [CO] and at 50% completion, [CO] is 1/2[CO]i and [NO2] is 0.75[NO2]i. This is determined through stoichiometry and the fact that the reactants react in a 1:1 ratio. The ratio of the initial rate to the rate at 50% completion can be calculated using this information.
r_swayze
Experiments show that the following redox reaction is second-order overall:

NO2(g) + CO(g) --> NO(g) + CO2(g)

In the reaction, the initial [NO2] is twice the initial [CO]. What is the ratio of the initial rate to the rate at 50% completion?

In the solution they say: [NO2]i = 2[CO]i

and then at 50% completion they say: [CO] = 1/2[CO]i and [NO2] = 0.75[NO2]i

where they getting the 1/2 and 0.75 from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stoichiometry?

--
methods

how? can you show the math behind it?

I don't see how they can get .75 if its at 50% completion. Wouldnt that mean NO2 is at 1.5 and CO is at 1? But they can't be since NO2 is twice the initial CO

r_swayze said:
the initial [NO2] is twice the initial [CO]

They react 1:1, if half of the CO reacted, how much NO2 was left?

Edit: note, that 1.5/2=0.75...

--

Related to How Does the Reaction Progress Affect Rate in a Second-Order Redox Reaction?

1. What is a reaction rate?

A reaction rate is the measure of how quickly or slowly a chemical reaction takes place. It is usually expressed as the change in concentration of a reactant or product per unit time.

2. How is reaction rate determined?

Reaction rate can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done by using various techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration.

3. What factors affect reaction rate?

The factors that affect reaction rate include temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants and their physical state.

4. How do catalysts affect reaction rate?

Catalysts are substances that increase the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. They do this by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it easier for the reactants to form products.

5. Why is understanding reaction rates important?

Understanding reaction rates is important because it allows us to control and optimize chemical reactions, which has numerous applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and environmental remediation. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles of chemical kinetics and how different factors influence the rate of a reaction.