How Does the Poynting Vector Behave When Light Enters a Dielectric Medium?

In summary, Dr. Du said that when light enters a dielectric medium, the intensity of the beam remains constant, but the length of the poynting vector must remain constant. However, reflection can change this.
Wminus
Hi.

According to classical electromagnetism (and common sense) the intensity of a beam of light entering a dielectric medium should remain constant. Hence the length of the poynting vector must remain constant.

But how do you derive mathematically the last point? Because if you just replace ##c## with ##v=c/n## and ##\epsilon_0## with ##\epsilon = \epsilon_0 n^2## and ##E## with ##E/n^2## you get into trouble when trying to transform the poynting vector.

Let's say you have light entering glass from vacuum with ##n = \sqrt{\epsilon/\epsilon_0}##. => Before: ##<S_{vac}> = \frac{c^2 \epsilon_0}{2} E_{vac} B_{vac}##. After: ##<S_{glass}> = \frac{(c^2/n^2) (\epsilon_0 n^2)}{2} (E/n^2) B = \frac{(c^2) (\epsilon_0}{2} (E_{vac}/n^2) B_{vac} \neq< S_{vac}>##

All thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

EDIT: fixed typo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I being unclear perhaps?

Does the magnetic field not change as well?

ahh yes, ##B = B_{vac} /n##? But things still don't work out!

I can't follow you. S=ExH. In the optical region, ##\mu=\mu0##. The change of E differs for the component parallel and perpendicular to the surface. For parallel E (normal incidence) E doesn't change, so S doesn't either.
In general you have to consider also reflection.

Likes vanhees71 and Wminus
What Dr.Du said (I'll be honest, I didn't follow you at first either). A bound charge on the surface of the dielectric will create a discontinuity on the perpendicular component of the field. The parallel component cannot and does not have a discontinuity, or else you would violate conservation of energy (make a little charged wheel spanning the surface and it will be continually accelerated -- perpetuum mobile). So the "normal intensity" is preserved.

But doesn't the E field change by ##E/\epsilon_r= E/n^2## in a dielectric, where ##n## is the refractive index because ##\epsilon_0 \rightarrow \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r##?

In case of no reflection, I thought you could just replace ##\epsilon_0## with ##\epsilon_0\epsilon_r = \epsilon_0 n^2## everywhere in the vacuum poynting vector to get the poynting vector in a material. Was I wrong?

Wminus said:
But doesn't the E field change by ##E/\epsilon_r= E/n^2## in a dielectric, where ##n## is the refractive index because ##\epsilon_0 \rightarrow \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r##?
That's true only for the E field normal to the surface.

But you just said in #5 the E field normal to the surface doesn't change?

Wminus said:
But you just said in #5 the E field normal to the surface doesn't change?

No, he said for normal incidence of light, the parallel component doesn't change. The normal component changes. If it were not so we would create an opportunity for perpetuum mobile at the surface of the dielectric -- surely you will agree that that is an unphysical result.

Likes Wminus
OK I see. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Wminus said:
OK I see. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

No problem, your intuition steered you in the right direction anyway. Oftentimes that is more valuable than having the correct answer from prior study -- for example when you investigate something that hasn't been studied before.

Related to How Does the Poynting Vector Behave When Light Enters a Dielectric Medium?

1. What is the Poynting vector in a dielectric material?

The Poynting vector in a dielectric material is a mathematical quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of energy flow in an electromagnetic wave. It represents the amount of electromagnetic energy per unit area per unit time that is being transported through the dielectric material.

2. How is the Poynting vector related to the electric and magnetic fields in a dielectric material?

The Poynting vector is directly related to the electric and magnetic fields in a dielectric material through the equation S = E x H, where S is the Poynting vector, E is the electric field, and H is the magnetic field. This relationship shows that the Poynting vector is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields and its magnitude is proportional to their cross product.

3. What is the significance of the Poynting vector in dielectric materials?

The Poynting vector is significant because it represents the flow of electromagnetic energy in a dielectric material. It is used to calculate the power and intensity of electromagnetic waves and is essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

4. How does the Poynting vector change in a dielectric material compared to a vacuum?

In a dielectric material, the Poynting vector is reduced compared to the value in a vacuum due to the presence of electric and magnetic dipoles that interact with the electromagnetic wave. This results in a decrease in the magnitude of the Poynting vector, representing a decrease in the rate of energy flow through the material.

5. How is the Poynting vector used in practical applications?

The Poynting vector is used in various practical applications, including telecommunications, radar systems, and solar energy. It is also used in the design and analysis of optical devices such as lenses and mirrors. In addition, the Poynting vector is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials and environments.