How does the length of a 2D conductor affect the transverse Hall resistance?

• Thread starter siyuphysic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the transverse Hall resistance is a phenomenon that occurs in 2D conductors where the length of the conductor dictates the magnitude of the voltage drop across the conductor. This results in the Hall resistivity and resistance being equivalent, with a factor of f=1, and is independent of the width of the conductor.
siyuphysic
I am reading a research note"quantum hall effect" from arxiv website. I'm told that the resistance of a 2D conductor depends in general on the so-called aspect ratio L/W via some factor f(L/W) . However, in the case of the transverse Hall resistance it is the length of the conductor itself that plays the role of the cross section, such that the Hall resistivity and the Hall resistance truly coincide, i.e. f = 1.

I don't really understand about the transverse hall resistance "the lenth of the condutor itself plays the role of cross section ".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain a bit more about that? The transverse Hall resistance is an effect that occurs in two-dimensional conductors, such as those made from semiconductors. When a current is passed through the conductor, the current will flow in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the applied magnetic field. This results in a voltage drop across the conductor that is proportional to the length of the conductor (L). This transverse voltage drop is known as the Hall voltage and its magnitude is given by the expression VH = EH L, where EH is the Hall coefficient. The transverse Hall resistance is then given by RH = VH/I, where I is the current passing through the conductor. The Hall resistance is independent of the width (W) of the conductor, since it is only related to the length of the conductor. Therefore, in the case of the transverse Hall resistance, the length of the conductor plays the role of the cross section, such that the Hall resistivity and the Hall resistance truly coincide, i.e. f = 1.

Related to How does the length of a 2D conductor affect the transverse Hall resistance?

1. How is "Factor L/W" calculated in hall resistance?

The factor L/W in hall resistance is calculated by dividing the length of the conductor (L) by its width (W). This value represents the aspect ratio of the conductor, which can affect the accuracy of the hall resistance measurement.

2. What is the significance of "Factor L/W" in hall resistance?

The factor L/W is important in hall resistance measurements because it determines the sensitivity of the measurement. A larger factor means a higher sensitivity, while a smaller factor means a lower sensitivity.

3. How does "Factor L/W" affect the accuracy of hall resistance measurements?

The factor L/W can affect the accuracy of hall resistance measurements by introducing errors due to non-uniform current distributions along the conductor. A smaller factor can result in higher error rates, while a larger factor can minimize these errors.

4. Is "Factor L/W" a constant value for all materials?

No, the factor L/W is not a constant value for all materials. It can vary depending on the type of material used, as well as the dimensions and geometry of the conductor. Therefore, it is important to determine the appropriate factor for each specific measurement.

5. How can "Factor L/W" be optimized for accurate hall resistance measurements?

The factor L/W can be optimized for accurate hall resistance measurements by choosing a conductor with dimensions that are suitable for the specific measurement. Additionally, using a larger factor can also improve the accuracy of the measurement, but this may not always be feasible depending on the available materials and equipment.