How Does the Integral Property Relate to the Dirac Delta Function?

In summary, the property states that the integral of e^{i\omega x} with respect to \omega over the entire real line is equal to the Dirac delta function. This concept falls under Schwartz distribution theory and generalized functions, rather than traditional calculus functions. It can be expressed as \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{i\omega x} \phi(x)\,d\omega = \phi(x) for all test functions \phi from an appropriate class.
Apteronotus
Hi everyone,

Can anyone show me how the property
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int ^{\infty} _{-\infty} e^{i\omega x}d\omega= \delta(x)[/tex]
holds.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know about Schwartz distribution theory? Generalized functions? Because that is what you are writing about, not traditional calculus functions. Your equation MEANS...

[tex]
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{i\omega x} \phi(x)\,d\omega = \phi(x)
[/tex]

for all test functions [itex]\phi[/itex] from an appropriate class.

edgar thanks for your reply.
It seems I've stumbled on something beyond my means.
I don't know anything about Schwartz distribution theory and a quick search on the net didnt help at all.

I thought the integral would be an easy calculus identity of sorts. Can you show me why the integral holds?

Related to How Does the Integral Property Relate to the Dirac Delta Function?

1. What are integral homework problems?

Integral homework problems involve finding the area underneath a curve on a graph. This is done by using integration, which is a mathematical process that allows us to find the total value of a curve between two points.

2. How do I solve an integral homework problem?

To solve an integral homework problem, you will need to use integration techniques such as the power rule, u-substitution, or integration by parts. First, identify the type of integral and choose the appropriate technique. Then, integrate the function and substitute in the limits of integration to find the final answer.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving integral homework problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration. Another mistake is not simplifying the final answer. Additionally, it is important to carefully choose the limits of integration and make sure they are correct for the given problem.

4. How can I check if my answer to an integral homework problem is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating it. If the derivative of your answer matches the original function, then your answer is correct.

5. What resources are available to help me with integral homework problems?

There are many online resources and tutorials available that can provide step-by-step instructions and practice problems for solving integral homework problems. Your textbook and professor may also have additional resources and examples for you to reference.