How Does the Incline Plane Affect Potential Energy in a Two-Mass System?

In summary, if I have a mass m1 sitting on an incline plane attached by a rope and a pulley to another mass m2 hanging off the incline plane, the potential energy is found by multiplying the mass of m1 by the gravity (9.81) and the height of m2.
Larrytsai
If I have a mass m1 sitting on an incline plane attached by a rope and a pulley to another mass m2 hanging off the incline plane, what would be the potential energy?

I was thinking that m1 only plays a role on the potential energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
If I have a mass m1 sitting on an incline plane attached by a rope and a pulley to another mass m2 hanging off the incline plane, what would be the potential energy?

I was thinking that m1 only plays a role on the potential energy.

Can m2 also rise and/or fall ?

m2 can rise or fall

Larrytsai said:
m2 can rise or fall
In that case, its potential energy changes.

Is m2 part of the system ?

yes m2 is conneced by a rope and I would like to find the velocity of m1 after it leaves the ramp.

So if it does change the systems potential energy would it just be

PE = g*(m1*height + m2*height)

the height of each respective mass are different.

Larrytsai said:
yes m2 is connected by a rope and I would like to find the velocity of m1 after it leaves the ramp.

So if it does change the systems potential energy would it just be

PE = g*(m1*height + m2*height)

the height of each respective mass are different.

Yes, the height of each respective mass is different. All that matters is change in height. Mass, m1, is on an inclined plane, so when the height of m2 decreases by Δh, the height of m1 increases by a lesser amount. Use trig to relate the two.

Potential energy will not affected by the other mass.

PE = mgh , mass x gravity x height.

You know the mass, and you know gravity is equal to 9.81 so you will need to know the height.

Jock

QuantumJock said:
Potential energy will not affected by the other mass.

PE = mgh , mass x gravity x height.

You know the mass, and you know gravity is equal to 9.81 so you will need to know the height.

Jock
Hello QuantumJock. Welcome to PF !

You have replied to a thread which has been idle for several months .

Oh woops I'm sorry! Still new!

Jock

Related to How Does the Incline Plane Affect Potential Energy in a Two-Mass System?

What is potential energy and how is it related to physics?

Potential energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is related to physics because it is a fundamental concept in the study of energy, work, and forces.

What is the equation for calculating potential energy?

The equation for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for potential energy is below the object's position. For example, if an object is at a lower height than the reference point, its potential energy would be negative.

How can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion can occur through various processes, such as falling, rolling, or stretching.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some real-life examples of potential energy include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a stretched spring, a book on a shelf, and a stretched rubber band. In each of these cases, the object has the potential to do work or move due to its position or state.