How does the height of a leaning ladder change with respect to its angle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate at which the top of a 10ft ladder moves with respect to the angle it makes with the ground, when the bottom of the ladder is pushed towards the wall. After using the equation $\sin{\theta}=\frac{x}{10}$ and taking derivatives, the answer is found to be 0.087 ft/degree. The conversation also mentions the importance of accounting for the conversion from ft/rad to ft/deg and the difficulty of understanding the method on other websites.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A 10ft ladder leans against a wall at angle $\theta$ with the horizontal. The top of the ladder is $x$ ft above the ground.
If the bottom of the ladder is pushed toward toward the wall, find the rate at which x changes with respect to $\theta$ when $\theta = 60^0$. Express the answer in units of feet\degree

Well this is not related to time. And I thot that using $\sin{\theta}=\frac{x}{10}$ but after taking derivatives I couldn't get the Answer of 0.087 ft / degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you account for the conversion from ft/rad to ft/deg? Doing so will give you the answer you cite. :D

Well. I did this

$10\sin{\theta}=x$

$\frac{d}{d\theta}10\cos{\theta}=\frac{d}{dx}$

This is what I did:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{x}{10}\)

Implicitly differentiate with respect to $\theta$:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{1}{10}\cdot\d{x}{\theta}\)

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{x}{\theta}\right|_{\theta=\frac{\pi}{3}}=10\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{rad}}=5\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{rad}}\cdot\frac{\pi\text{ rad}}{180\text{ deg}}=\frac{\pi}{36}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{deg}}\)

OK, see now, I didn't know how to deal with the radiansSo $$\frac{\pi}{36}=0.087$$'

The best answer and method was here at MHB

I went to some other sites with this problem but the method was hard to understand plus the answer was wrong. I should just stay here.

Related to How does the height of a leaning ladder change with respect to its angle?

1. What is the "leaning ladder problem"?

The "leaning ladder problem" refers to a physics problem in which a ladder is leaning against a wall and the goal is to determine the minimum angle at which the ladder can lean without slipping or falling.

2. What factors affect the stability of a leaning ladder?

The stability of a leaning ladder is affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the ladder and the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground and between the ladder and the wall.

3. How can the minimum angle for a leaning ladder be calculated?

The minimum angle for a leaning ladder can be calculated using the formula: θ = tan-1s) where θ is the angle of the ladder, and μs is the coefficient of static friction.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in the leaning ladder problem?

Static friction refers to the force that keeps an object in place without moving, while kinetic friction refers to the force that acts on an object when it is in motion. In the leaning ladder problem, the coefficient of static friction is used to determine the minimum angle for stability, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is used to determine whether the ladder will slip or fall at a given angle.

5. How can the stability of a leaning ladder be increased?

The stability of a leaning ladder can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground or between the ladder and the wall, or by decreasing the angle of the ladder. Other factors such as the weight and distribution of the ladder can also be adjusted to increase stability.