How Does the GAIA Program Count 1.7 Billion Stars in Its Image?

• I
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Stars
In summary, the Gaia program uses specialized technology to collect data on stars, including their position, radial velocity, proper motion, and color. This data is then processed by super computers to create a database of stars and their properties. The Gaia camera uses a technique called Time Delay Integration to capture images, which allows for high sensitivity despite the rotation of the camera.
nmsurobert
I just an read article on the ESAs Gaia program. I was wondering how they count the 1.7 billion stars in the image? Are the stars cataloged as the images are taken? Or is there a method that is used after the images have been collected?

http://sci.esa.int/gaia/60169-gaia-s-sky-in-colour/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Other way around, GAIA don't really capture images in the traditional sense. The image is a visualization of the data captured by GAIA (position, radial velocity, proper motion, color etc.).

glappkaeft said:
Other way around, GAIA don't really capture images in the traditional sense. The image is a visualization of the data captured by GAIA (position, radial velocity, proper motion, color etc.).
So when data is collected through the CCD camera, the data be turned into a graph... or something? ccds create images from potential differences, right? I am guessing the stars create potential differences and those can be counted?

nmsurobert said:
So when data is collected through the CCD camera, the data be turned into a graph... or something?

GAIA's optical system, camera and data reduction is rather unusual and very specialized. It throws away most of the image data and only sends the interesting bits to Earth where it is processed by super computers that takes many measurements (on the top of my head around 80 or more) over several years of each star to build a database of stars (and some other objects) and their properties. There is a good primer article and video at:
http://sci.esa.int/gaia/53281-inside-gaia-s-billion-pixel-camera/

ccds create images from potential differences, right? I am guessing the stars create potential differences and those can be counted?

You are in the right neighborhood at least. Very loosely a pixel in a digital sensor (CMOS or CCD) is a tiny solar panel that turn every detected photon into one electron which it stores until it is ready to count them. Exactly how this is done depends on the technology used and especially the way the electrons are moved and read out of a CCDs pixels (the so called Bucket Brigade) give you several tricks to use. GAIA uses one of these tricks to do Time Delay Integration which gives it very good sensitivity even though the image of the stars trail across the senor as GAIA rotates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_delay_and_integration

Likes Spinnor
glappkaeft said:
GAIA's optical system, camera and data reduction is rather unusual and very specialized. It throws away most of the image data and only sends the interesting bits to Earth where it is processed by super computers that takes many measurements (on the top of my head around 80 or more) over several years of each star to build a database of stars (and some other objects) and their properties. There is a good primer article and video at:
http://sci.esa.int/gaia/53281-inside-gaia-s-billion-pixel-camera/
You are in the right neighborhood at least. Very loosely a pixel in a digital sensor (CMOS or CCD) is a tiny solar panel that turn every detected photon into one electron which it stores until it is ready to count them. Exactly how this is done depends on the technology used and especially the way the electrons are moved and read out of a CCDs pixels (the so called Bucket Brigade) give you several tricks to use. GAIA uses one of these tricks to do Time Delay Integration which gives it very good sensitivity even though the image of the stars trail across the senor as GAIA rotates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_delay_and_integration
ah ok. Thank you! This helps a lot.

Related to How Does the GAIA Program Count 1.7 Billion Stars in Its Image?

What is the "Image of 1.7 billion stars"?

The "Image of 1.7 billion stars" is a composite image created by the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite. It shows the positions and brightness of 1.7 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy.

How was the "Image of 1.7 billion stars" created?

The Gaia satellite has been scanning the sky since 2013, measuring the positions, distances, and motions of stars. This data was then processed and combined to create the final image.

Why is the "Image of 1.7 billion stars" significant?

This image provides the most detailed and comprehensive map of the Milky Way galaxy to date. It allows scientists to study the structure and evolution of our galaxy, as well as the distribution and movements of stars within it.

What can we learn from the "Image of 1.7 billion stars"?

By studying this image, scientists can gain insights into the formation and evolution of the Milky Way galaxy, as well as the processes that shape and influence the movements of stars within it.

How can I view the "Image of 1.7 billion stars"?

The image is available to view online through the Gaia Archive, which is maintained by the European Space Agency. It can also be accessed through various astronomy and space exploration websites and resources.