How Does the Elitzur-Vaidman Bomb Tester Utilize Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter LukeD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bomb
In summary, the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester is an essentially quantum mechanical effect, but I've been unable to find a technical quantum mechanical treatment of the subject though I've found plenty of non-technical treatments and a few pseudo-classical treatments. The way I understand the setup is that we start with a photon prepared in an entangled state between going on the top and bottom arms of the bomb tester. The bottom photon then encounters a bomb that is live or dead. I suppose I could treat this bomb as an operator, either being a projection operator (live bomb, projects onto |T>) or identity operator (dead bomb), but this would operate on the entire state at once, and that doesn't seem quite right
LukeD
Hey, I'm trying to understand the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester since it is an essentially quantum mechanic effect, but I haven't been able to find a technical quantum mechanical treatment of the subject though I've found plenty of non-technical treatments and a few pseudo-classical treatments.

The way I understand the setup is that we start with a photon prepared in an entangled state between going on the top and bottom arms of the bomb tester. (Let's call this state |T> + |B>) The bottom photon then encounters a bomb that is live or dead. I suppose I could treat this bomb as an operator, either being a projection operator (live bomb, projects onto |T>) or identity operator (dead bomb), but this would operate on the entire state at once, and that doesn't seem quite right. Then I really don't understand what's going on with the half-silvered mirror at the end. It seems to make the top and bottom arms of the bomb tester recombine and interfere, but I can't figure out what that means in terms of operators.

Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The bomb is not an operator of the kind you suggest. It is better to think of bomb as a specific classical potential V(x) playing a role in the Schrodinger equation. More precisely, the bomb is nothing but a mirror that reflects the wave function.

Ok, then what about 2nd half silvered mirror? Should I treat the mirror as an operator?

I want to know the proper quantum mechanical treatment of this setup because I want to design an extension to it that I think should be possible where the bottom arm, instead of testing one bomb, tests and reports information about a set of boolean values.

Just so we know we're talking about the same thing ...
The bomb-tester works on the principle that if there is any chance of getting 'which-path' information, the interference at the last mirror is destroyed. A live bomb acts like a photon-detector, but a dud bomb is just a mirror. However if the bomb is live, there's a probability of 1/2 that the photon will not trigger a live bomb, but there will be no interference, telling us the bomb is live. Of course, half of the live bombs will explode, making this a rather expensive practice.

There are two set-ups here, one with a live bomb and one with a dud. You can't combine the two unless you have a probability for selecting a dud. In that case you'd have 3 possible outcomes. The state space would be a sort of tensor product of the two-state vector a|dud>+b|live> and c|boom> + d|T>. Shouldn't you write the state space out first then the operators ?

These papers may be helpful:

"[URL Photon quantum mechanics and beam splitters
C. H. Holbrow,a) E. Galvez, and M. E. Parks[/URL]

"[URL Interaction-Free Measurements
Lev Vaidman[/URL]

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1464-4266/3/3/311

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1355-5111/7/2/005

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Edgardo.

What I've described is the Penrose machine, not the EV bomb-tester. Whoops.

Related to How Does the Elitzur-Vaidman Bomb Tester Utilize Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester?

The Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester is a theoretical quantum mechanical device used to detect the presence of a bomb without actually setting it off. It was first proposed in 1993 by physicists Avshalom Elitzur and Lev Vaidman.

2. How does the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester work?

The Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester uses a beam splitter to split a photon into two paths. One path leads to a detector, while the other path leads to a bomb. If the photon is not blocked by the bomb, it will reach the detector and indicate the bomb's presence. However, if the photon is blocked by the bomb, it will not reach the detector, indicating that the bomb is not present.

3. Is the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester a real device?

No, the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester is a thought experiment and has not been physically constructed. It is a hypothetical device used to illustrate the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester?

The Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester demonstrates the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics, where a particle can exist in multiple states at once. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

5. Are there any other similar devices to the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester?

Yes, there are other devices based on similar principles, such as the Mach-Zehnder interferometer and the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect. These devices also use beam splitters and interference patterns to detect the presence of an object without physically interacting with it.