How Does the Electric Field Approximation Change When x is Much Smaller Than a?

In summary: I don't understand. when you're doing the denominator, you're assuming x approaches 0 right? and then the answer is just a3(1+(x/a)2)1.5 right?Yes there is x in the numerator. As it stands alone (nothing added) you can not compare it to anything and ignoring with respect to. x approaches zero, but is not zero, only very small with respect to a. Assume a=1 and evaluate x/[1+x2]1.5 for x=0.1, 0.01, 0.001. You will get what the approximation means.
charlies1902

Homework Statement

2 positive charges are placed on the why axis. one is at y=+a the other at y=-a. show that the e field where x is much smaller than a is approximately equal to (2kqx)/a^3. The 1st part of the question was to show that the e field = (2kqx/(x^2+a^2)^1.5) I did that part already so we can just use that equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so, using the equation (2kqx/(x^2+a^2)^1.5) to do this part where x is much smaller than a means that x is approaching 0. so shouldn't the whole e field be approx = to 0 instead of like the equation they gave (2kqx)/a^3. where they only got rid of the x at the bottom and not the one at the top?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the expression x2+a2 in the form a2[1+(x/a)2] If x is much smaller than a its square is even much smaller. For example, x/a = 0.01, then (x/a)2=0.0001. Ignoring it causes 0.01% error only. What you can call "small" depends on the accuracy of a. If it is given with 3 digits, the error of a is greater than the error the approximation brought in.

ehild

Last edited:
i don't understand how you got a[1+(x/a)^2] out of the denominator.

charlies1902 said:
i don't understand how you got a[1+(x/a)^2] out of the denominator.

My bad... I did not take the power 1.5 into account, and forgot a square. Now I edited my original post. The denominator becomes

[a2(1+(x/a)2]1.5=a3(1+(x/a)2)1.5,
and the relative error when ignoring x/a is 1.5 (x/a)2.

ehild

Last edited:
sorry but I'm still confused why that gives the answer. when you're doing the denominator, you're assuming x approaches 0 right? which gives you the denominator with only a in it. But the answer STILL has x in the numerator. shouldn't what was done in the denominator be also applied to the numerator which gives an answer of 0?

Yes there is x in the numerator. As it stands alone (nothing added) you can not compare it to anything and ignoring with respect to. x approaches zero, but is not zero, only very small with respect to a. Assume a=1 and evaluate x/[1+x2]1.5 for x=0.1, 0.01, 0.001. You will get what the approximation means.

ehild

Related to How Does the Electric Field Approximation Change When x is Much Smaller Than a?

1. What is an electric field problem?

An electric field problem is a physics problem that involves determining the strength and direction of an electric field at a specific point in space. It typically involves using mathematical equations and concepts to solve for the electric field, which is a vector quantity.

2. How do you calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force acting on a charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle. It can also be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the source charge, and r is the distance between the source charge and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from the source charge increases. This is known as the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of a force or field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems have many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, understanding the behavior of lightning, and predicting the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also important in the study of electricity and magnetism and in the development of technologies like wireless charging and electric motors.