How Does the Delayed Neutron Fraction Influence Reactor Kinetics?

In summary: This is why the ratio of the steady state delayed neutron concentration to the total neutron can be much higher than expected.In summary, the ratio of delayed neutrons to total neutrons in a steady state reactor operation can be much higher than expected due to the longer lifetime of delayed precursors compared to neutrons. This results in a larger impact on the rate of change of delayed neutron concentration, leading to a higher ratio.
oksuz_
Hi

Point kinetics equation with one-group delayed neutrons,

dn/dt= ((ρ-β)/∧)n+λC

dC/dt= (β/Λ)n - λC

When a reactor in steady-state operation, derivative terms would be zero. From second equation,
C/n= β/λΛ is found. For given β=0.0065, λ=0.08 and Λ=0.0001, the ratio of the steady state delayed neutron concentration to the total neutron is found about 812.5. So, what I do not understand is that the delayed neutrons is just a small fraction of the total neutrons (around 1%). How come the ratio becomes 812.5 ? Am I missing something?

Thank you ..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for reply. However, I had already checked this source before I wrote this question. It gives the delayed neutron fractions for the six groups but does not answer my question.

oksuz_ said:
Hi

Point kinetics equation with one-group delayed neutrons,

dn/dt= ((ρ-β)/∧)n+λC

dC/dt= (β/Λ)n - λC

When a reactor in steady-state operation, derivative terms would be zero. From second equation,
C/n= β/λΛ is found. For given β=0.0065, λ=0.08 and Λ=0.0001, the ratio of the steady state delayed neutron concentration to the total neutron is found about 812.5. So, what I do not understand is that the delayed neutrons is just a small fraction of the total neutrons (around 1%). How come the ratio becomes 812.5 ? Am I missing something?

Thank you ..
Looking at the coefficients in the second equation, (β/Λ) = 65 as compared to λ=0.08, which simply means that the rate of change of C is more greatly affected by the neutron flux than by the delayed neutron fraction of the population.

This is an interesting problem to think about. Since the number of fraction of delayed neutrons produced by fission is fairly small (~0.65%), you would expect that the ratio of delayed precursors to the number of neutrons would be fairly small also. The difference is in the lifetimes of the neutrons and the delayed precursor. A neutron is going to have a lifetime on the order of 0.0001 sec, while the delayed precursor can have a lifetime of up to 55 seconds.

While there are many more neutrons produced by fission, the delayed neutrons stay in the system much longer. Therefore, if you take a snapshot in time, there are many more precursors in the system than there are neutrons.

Related to How Does the Delayed Neutron Fraction Influence Reactor Kinetics?

What is delayed neutron fraction?

Delayed neutron fraction (DNF) is a measure of the number of neutrons that are released from a fission reaction that do not appear immediately, but rather have a delayed release time. This fraction is expressed as a percentage of the total number of neutrons released.

Why is delayed neutron fraction important in nuclear reactors?

DNF is important in nuclear reactors because it affects the reactivity and stability of the reactor. Since these delayed neutrons have a longer release time, they can be used to control the rate of the nuclear reaction and prevent the reactor from becoming too unstable.

How is delayed neutron fraction calculated?

The DNF is calculated by taking the ratio of delayed neutrons to the total number of neutrons released in a fission reaction. This can be done experimentally or through computer simulations.

What factors can affect the delayed neutron fraction?

There are several factors that can affect the DNF, including the type of reactor, the type of fuel used, and the level of enrichment of the fuel. Additionally, changes in the operating conditions, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the DNF.

What are the implications of a high or low delayed neutron fraction?

A high DNF can indicate a higher level of instability in a nuclear reactor, which can be dangerous if not properly controlled. On the other hand, a low DNF can result in a slower reaction rate, which can affect the efficiency and power output of the reactor.