How Does the Cost Per Person Change with Fewer Passengers on a Charter Flight?

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary, the plane costs 4320 dollars to charter with 36 passengers, and 108 dollars with 40 passengers.
zak100

Homework Statement

A group can charter a particular aircraft at a fixed total cost. If 36 people charter the aircraft rather than 40 people, then the cost per person is greater by 12$
a) What is the fixed total cost to charter the aircraft?
b) What is the cost per person if 40 people charter the aircraft?

Homework Equations

ThirtySixCost = 36 * (costPerPerson + 12)
FixedCost = NumberofPersons * costPerPerson (Note if NumberofPersons>40)

Not sure about the correctness of equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve it because data is incomplete.
ThirtySixCost=?
FortyCost=?

Somebody please guide me how to solve it.

Zulfi.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Reread the problem statement. Your costPerPerson represents the cost per person, when there are 40 people. Your ThirtySixCost is the total cost to rent the plane (but that is a Fixed cost). I did not see anything about greater than 40. You can get to 3 equations and 3 unknowns to solve it.

For example (not real numbers), if it costs $360 to rent something (say a lake house), then for 40 people, that is $9 per person, but for 36 people it is $10 per person. It costs $1 more per person if you only have 36 people.

Last edited:
Hi,
Please tell me how to find costPerPerson?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

A group can charter a particular aircraft at a fixed total cost. If 36 people charter the aircraft rather than 40 people, then the cost per person is greater by 12$
a) What is the fixed total cost to charter the aircraft?
b) What is the cost per person if 40 people charter the aircraft?

Homework Equations

ThirtySixCost = 36 * (costPerPerson + 12)
FixedCost = NumberofPersons * costPerPerson (Note if NumberofPersons>40)

Not sure about the correctness of equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve it because data is incomplete.
ThirtySixCost=?
FortyCost=?[/B]
These variable names aren't useful. The fixed cost is the same whether there are 40 people or 36 people.
Let x = the cost per person with 40 passengers.
Let f = the fixed cost of chartering the airplane.
  • Write an expression that represents the cost per person with 36 passengers. (Use the information given in the problem.)
  • Translate the 2nd sentence in the problem statement into an algebraic equation.

Likes SammyS and scottdave
Hi,
FTC = Fixed Total Cost
CPP = Cost Per Person
CPP = FTC + 12

I can form only one equation. Please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
FTC = Fixed Total Cost
CPP = Cost Per Person
CPP = FTC + 12

I can form only one equation. Please guide me.

Zulfi.

The plane costs an amount (call it FTC), whether there is 1 passenger or 36 passenger or 40 passengers. The cost per person depends on the fixed cost (which does not change, and the number of passengers. How about this?: FTC is total fixed cost. CPPForty = FTC / 40. CPPthirtysix = FTC / 36.
The problem statement gives you another relationship between CPPForty and CPPthirtysix, which you can make another equation.

You may want to re-look at the example problem I posed in post #2, to see how you can relate your problem to that one.

zak100 said:
FTC = Fixed Total Cost
CPP = Cost Per Person
CPP = FTC + 12
The last equation makes no sense. You are saying that the cost for one person is $12 more than the fixed cost.

Hi,
Mr. scottdave:
Do you mean this:CPPThirtySix = CPPForty + 12

Zulfi.

Likes scottdave
zak100 said:
Hi,

CPPThirtySix = CPPForty + 12

Zulfi.

Yes, now with 3 equations you should be able to solve for CPPThirtySix, CPPForty and FTC.

Hi,
I am able to solve it.
CP36 = FTC/36 ---(1)
CP40 = FTC/40 ---(2)
CP36 = CP40 + 12--- (3)
After solving these eq., i am able to get correct answer:
CP40 = 108
CP36 = 120 (Not required in the question)
FTC = 4320

Thanks everybody for your cooperation.

Zulfi.

Likes scottdave

Related to How Does the Cost Per Person Change with Fewer Passengers on a Charter Flight?

1. What is a fixed cost?

A fixed cost is a cost that does not change with the level of production or output. It remains constant regardless of how many units are produced or sold.

2. What is an example of a fixed cost?

An example of a fixed cost is rent for a business. The rent amount remains the same each month, regardless of how many products or services are produced or sold.

3. What is a cost per person?

A cost per person is the total cost divided by the number of people. It is used to determine the average cost per individual for a particular product or service.

4. How is fixed cost different from cost per person?

Fixed cost is a constant cost that does not change with the number of people, while cost per person is the average cost per individual. Fixed cost is usually incurred by a business, while cost per person is often used to determine the price for a consumer.

5. Can fixed cost and cost per person change over time?

Yes, fixed cost and cost per person can change over time. Fixed costs can change due to factors such as inflation and changes in production levels. Cost per person can change due to fluctuations in the total cost or the number of people.