How does the circuit in a stun gun produce high DC voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses how stun guns and fly swatters use DC voltages that are much higher than the single 9 volt DC battery used to power them. The original poster, an electrical engineering student, is seeking information on the components and circuits used to raise the battery voltage to these levels. The conversation also includes a warning about discussing potentially dangerous circuits and suggests using a Google Images search for boost or flyback circuits as a starting point. The conversation ends with a suggestion to obtain disposable cameras for free, as they contain a similar flyback converter.
Gabe P.
How does a stun gun or a fly swatter circuit produce DC voltages that are at least 2 or 3 orders of magnitude higher than the single 9 volt DC battery used to power the device. I would appreaciate if someone can give me some information regarding the sort of components/circuits that are used to raise the batery voltage to these large levels.

P.S. I'm an electrical engineering student and have already taken the electronics I course.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi Gabe

welcome to PF :)

we try and avoid talking about weapons like that here ... don't want to give bad people ideas on how to hurt other people

The net is full of circuits ... do a google search

cheers
Dave

it's not for weapon purposes i was just looking at my fly swatter carefully and started wondering how it worked. If a fly swatter is a weapon then i guess i must be living in another dimension. Just mentioned the stun gun because it's a prime example.

Gabe P. said:
How does a stun gun or a fly swatter circuit produce DC voltages that are at least 2 or 3 orders of magnitude higher than the single 9 volt DC battery used to power the device. I would appreaciate if someone can give me some information regarding the sort of components/circuits that are used to raise the batery voltage to these large levels.

P.S. I'm an electrical engineering student and have already taken the electronics I course.

Gabe P. said:
it's not for weapon purposes i was just looking at my fly swatter carefully and started wondering how it worked. If a fly swatter is a weapon then i guess i must be living in another dimension. Just mentioned the stun gun because it's a prime example.

Welcome to the PF, Gabe.

We get a lot of newbies here who want to build their first electronics project, and it often involves high voltages that are dangerous if not treated correctly. That's why we are a little careful about discussing such circuits and applications.

But to answer your question, you can use either a "boost" circuit, or a "flyback" circuit to step up a source voltage. I prefer to start with a Google Images search for such circuits, since that gives me a better selection to click into to learn more. The flyback circuit is what is used in your (old style) CRT TV to make the 25kV anode voltage for the screen. I'd guess that the fly zapper and Taser use a similar circuit.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Gabe.

We get a lot of newbies here who want to build their first electronics project, and it often involves high voltages that are dangerous if not treated correctly. That's why we are a little careful about discussing such circuits and applications.

But to answer your question, you can use either a "boost" circuit, or a "flyback" circuit to step up a source voltage. I prefer to start with a Google Images search for such circuits, since that gives me a better selection to click into to learn more. The flyback circuit is what is used in your (old style) CRT TV to make the 25kV anode voltage for the screen. I'd guess that the fly zapper and Taser use a similar circuit.

Thank you very much.

Disposable cameras have a flyback converter for the flash. Most photolabs will give you a grocery sack of them for free.

Related to How does the circuit in a stun gun produce high DC voltage

1. How does a stun gun produce high DC voltage?

A stun gun uses a circuit to convert low voltage from a battery into high voltage. The circuit includes a transformer, which steps up the voltage, and a capacitor, which stores the high voltage until it is discharged.

2. What is the role of the transformer in a stun gun circuit?

The transformer in a stun gun circuit is responsible for stepping up the low voltage from the battery to a much higher voltage. This is achieved through electromagnetic induction, where the primary coil creates a changing magnetic field that induces a higher voltage in the secondary coil.

3. How does the capacitor in a stun gun circuit contribute to the high voltage output?

The capacitor in a stun gun circuit stores the high voltage created by the transformer until it is discharged. When the trigger of the stun gun is pulled, the capacitor releases this stored energy in a short burst, producing the high voltage needed to incapacitate an attacker.

4. What type of current does a stun gun produce?

A stun gun produces high DC (direct current) voltage. This means that the current flows in one direction, from the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal. The high DC voltage output is necessary for the stun gun to be effective in immobilizing an attacker.

5. Can the high voltage produced by a stun gun be lethal?

While stun guns are designed to incapacitate rather than kill, the high voltage produced can be lethal in rare cases. People with pre-existing heart conditions or pacemakers may be at a higher risk. It is important to use stun guns responsibly and only in self-defense situations.