How does the Cerenkov effect work for neutrinos, despite them having no charge?

• Thread starter bjaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary, the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos is a phenomenon in which neutrinos emit light as they travel through a medium faster than the speed of light in that medium. This effect is caused by the interaction of neutrinos with charged particles in the medium and is important in scientific research as it allows for the detection and study of these elusive particles. It is used in experiments and observations by detecting the faint light emitted by the Cerenkov effect and has potential applications in various fields such as astrophysics and medical imaging.
bjaw
Hi everyone,

I just have a question regarding a project I'm doing at the moment. I decided to write about the detection of neutrinos, and hence have to explain the Cerenkov effect which is used in the water detectors. What I can't understand is that, from what I've read so far, the Cerenkov effect only works for charged particles, and neutrinos have no charge! Can someone explain why the effect still occurs? Also, why is the light produced necessarily blue? I've seen why the angle produced occurs, but nothing I've read mentions the energy of the photons produced.

Thanks so much for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
bjaw said:
Hi everyone,

I just have a question regarding a project I'm doing at the moment. I decided to write about the detection of neutrinos, and hence have to explain the Cerenkov effect which is used in the water detectors. What I can't understand is that, from what I've read so far, the Cerenkov effect only works for charged particles, and neutrinos have no charge! Can someone explain why the effect still occurs? Also, why is the light produced necessarily blue? I've seen why the angle produced occurs, but nothing I've read mentions the energy of the photons produced.

Thanks so much for any help

To the first part of your question, when neutrinos intract with matter, such as water, they will knock out either relativistic electrons or muons. It is these electrons and muons that are producing the cerenkov radiation.

As to why it is blue (actually, most of it is in the UV, but something we can't see with our eyes), you may want to read here:

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/balloon/cerenkov_radiation.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, the only way that we can detect neutrinos in any kind of detector, is by detecting the particles that they produce when they interact. For example, when a high-energy muon-neutrino interacts with a nucleon in an atomic nucleus, you typically get a single muon and a "jet" of other particles (mostly pions, protons, neutrons, etc., but also e+e- and mu+mu- pairs from pair production). Muon-neutrino detectors look for events with this "signature."

Thanks for the swift reponses! That's helped a lot.

As far as using Cherenkov light to detect neutrinos, this http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/sno/sno2.html#interactions" explains the interaction of a neutrino and the deuterium nucleus in which the nucleus emits a high speed electron. It also describes the interaction of gamma rays and electrons (the gamma rays are produced after the nucleus interacts with a neutrino sending off a free neutron which is then captured by a chlorine nucleus) and of a neutrino directly with an electron. All three produce Chenenkov light which is detected in the photomultiplier tubes around the heavy water.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention neutrons has no NET charge. They are made up of charged quarks though.

Gib Z said:
Not to mention neutrons has no NET charge. They are made up of charged quarks though.

Neutrons are, but this thread seems to be discussing neutrinos which are fundamental particles and are not the same things as neutrons.

Related to How does the Cerenkov effect work for neutrinos, despite them having no charge?

1. What is the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos?

The Cerenkov effect for neutrinos is a phenomenon in which neutrinos, which are subatomic particles, travel through a medium faster than the speed of light in that medium. This results in the emission of light, known as Cerenkov radiation, which can be detected by specialized instruments.

2. How does the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos occur?

The Cerenkov effect for neutrinos occurs when neutrinos interact with the electric field of charged particles in a medium, causing the charged particles to emit light. This light emission is similar to the process that occurs when a charged particle travels through a medium faster than the speed of light in that medium.

3. Why is the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos important in scientific research?

The Cerenkov effect for neutrinos is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to detect and study neutrinos, which are difficult to detect due to their weak interaction with matter. By detecting and studying neutrinos, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental properties of these elusive particles and their role in the universe.

4. How is the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos used in experiments and observations?

The Cerenkov effect for neutrinos is used in experiments and observations by detecting the Cerenkov radiation emitted by neutrinos as they travel through a medium. This can be done using specialized detectors, such as water tanks or ice cubes, which are sensitive to the faint light emitted by the Cerenkov effect.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of the Cerenkov effect for neutrinos. However, further research and advancements in neutrino detection and measurement may lead to potential applications in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and medical imaging.