How Does the Cassie-Baxter Model Explain the Lotus Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lotus effect, which is the self-cleaning property of lotus leaves due to their ultrahydrophobicity. This is achieved through a micro- and nanoscopic architecture on the leaf's surface, which minimizes the adhesion of water droplets and allows them to pick up dirt particles. The contact angle of a droplet on this surface is calculated using the apparent contact area and the real contact area, which is affected by the microscopic whiskers. The conversation also touches on the use of the Cassie-Baxter model to understand wetting and derive the appropriate equation for this scenario.
Klaus von Faust
1.The lotus effect refers to self-cleaning properties that are a result of ultrahydrophobicity as exhibited by the leaves of "lotus flower". Dirt particles are picked up by water droplets due to the micro- and nanoscopic architecture on the surface, which minimizes the droplet's adhesion to that surface. If the apparent contact area of a droplet with such a surface is A, and the real contact area because of the microscopic whiskers is xA with x = 0.003, what is the contact angle? Assume that without “whiskers”, the contact angle would be α0 = 110 ◦ .2. F = σa
U = Sσ

e7d4f0384ad54c7229f9e136509bb9076092bbe2

7f8b53f214de5ac4cd0f8a092ae11529ba53b68c

5ecad9324b653bc99f252908942078cb6675b421

3. I tried to use the fact that the volume is being constant, and I assumed that the drop has the shape of a spherical cap, so I expressed it's volume in terms of contact angle.
A/xA=pi*R^2/pi*r^2
V=const
V=pi/3*R^3*(2+cos(a))(1-cos(a))^2=pi/3*r^3*(2+cos(b))(1-cos(b))^2
But the equation I have obtained which is not solvable. Can you help me and show another approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't understand what you are modeling. Can you please provide a schematic diagram?

Likes Bystander
Chestermiller said:
I can't understand what you are modeling. Can you please provide a schematic diagram?
I solved it myself, I don't know how to draw on this forum properly, but I searched and read about wetting and about 3 models of wetting, Young's model, Wenzel's model and Cassie-Baxter model. This case particularly is a Cassie-Baxter model, so after deriving the Cassie-Baxter equation I got the right result.
File:Cassie-Baxter.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cassie-Baxter.png

Related to How Does the Cassie-Baxter Model Explain the Lotus Effect?

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin elastic skin. It is the result of cohesive forces between liquid molecules at the surface, which creates a net force that pulls the molecules closer together.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension can be measured using a variety of methods, including the du Noüy ring method, the Wilhelmy plate method, or the drop weight method. These methods involve measuring the force required to break or deform the surface of a liquid.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. Generally, surface tension decreases with increasing temperature and increases with increasing pressure.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface tension?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena and practical applications. It allows insects to walk on water, helps plants absorb water from the soil, and enables some insects and spiders to catch prey. In technology, surface tension is used in the production of emulsions, coatings, and detergents.

5. How can surface tension be modified or controlled?

Surface tension can be modified or controlled by changing the composition or temperature of a liquid, or by adding surfactants or other additives. For example, adding soap to water can reduce its surface tension, making it easier to form bubbles and foam. Additionally, surface-active agents, such as surfactants, can be used to lower surface tension and improve wetting of surfaces.