How Does the Angular Momentum Commutator Simplify in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the Angular Momentum Commutator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between two angular momentum operators. It is important in understanding the uncertainty principle and determining the energy levels and quantum states of a system. The commutator is calculated by taking the difference between the products of the operators in two different orders and has physical significance in determining the compatibility of the operators. It is similar to other commutators in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles.
Xyius
This isn't really a homework question, it came along in my studying of the chapter, but it is a homework "type" question so I assumed this would be the best place to post this.

I am trying to show that
[tex][L_x,L_y]=y[p_z,z]p_x+x[z,p_z]p_y=i \hbar L_z[/tex]
This is all the work the book showed. So I tried to come to this conclusion myself and it is proving to be more difficult than I had originally thought. So here is what I did..

Here are the commutator properties I used..
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/9923/proby1l.png

And here is my work using those properties..
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/8048/proby2.png

My question is, is there an easier way to do this? Also, how in the hell does that big block of terms simplify to those two terms? It looks like the first and last term in that whole mess are the only ones that survive somehow.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
This isn't really a homework question, it came along in my studying of the chapter, but it is a homework "type" question so I assumed this would be the best place to post this.

I am trying to show that
[tex][L_x,L_y]=y[p_z,z]p_x+x[z,p_z]p_y=i \hbar L_z[/tex]
This is all the work the book showed. So I tried to come to this conclusion myself and it is proving to be more difficult than I had originally thought. So here is what I did..

Here are the commutator properties I used..
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/9923/proby1l.png

And here is my work using those properties..
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/8048/proby2.png

My question is, is there an easier way to do this? Also, how in the hell does that big block of terms simplify to those two terms? It looks like the first and last term in that whole mess are the only ones that survive somehow.

Can anyone help?

Notice, for example, [itex][p_z,p_x]=0[/itex] and [itex][y,z]=0[/itex] In index notation, you have [itex][x_i,x_j]=[p_i,p_j]=0[/itex], so half your terms in that big block with 16 terms are zero right off the bat. Then, use the fact that [itex][x_j,p_k]=i\hbar\delta_{jk}[/itex], and all your other terms are zero except for the first and last.

A better way might have been to do the entire problem using index notation (with the Einstein summation convention), where you have [itex]L_i=\epsilon_{ijk}x_jp_k[/itex], so [itex][L_j,L_k]=[\epsilon_{jlm}x_lp_m, \epsilon_{kmn}x_mp_n][/itex]. Then you would have been able to calculate all the permutations of [itex][L_j,L_k][/itex] in one shot, and with only 4 terms instead of 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your reply!
I am still new to Quantum mechanics, while this is a senior level course, its the first course which really delves into quantum mechanics. That being said, I am still not used to dealing with operators and commutators. I was getting overly paranoid about commutation of operators that I didn't even realize that yz-zy will equal zero if we are in position space. (If I am not mistaken, these only take on values which involve a derivative if we are in momentum space.)

My only problem now is showing that (as you said)
[tex][x_j,p_k]=i \hbar \delta_{j,k}[/tex]

If I do [itex][y,p_x][/itex] I get..

[tex]-i \hbar [y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}][/tex]
The second term is obviously zero, but what to do with the first one??

Xyius said:
I was getting overly paranoid about commutation of operators that I didn't even realize that yz-zy will equal zero if we are in position space. (If I am not mistaken, these only take on values which involve a derivative if we are in momentum space.)

Commutation relations are more abstract than that. For example, [itex][\hat{y}, \hat{z}]=0[/itex] (I'll use ^ to distinguish between operator and scalar) regardless of whether you act on a wavefunction in the position basis or momentum basis, or any other basis. To see why this is true in the momentum basis, just consider that [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y \partial z} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z \partial y}[/itex].

My only problem now is showing that (as you said)
[tex][x_j,p_k]=i \hbar \delta_{j,k}[/tex]

If I do [itex][y,p_x][/itex] I get..

[tex]-i \hbar [y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}][/tex]
The second term is obviously zero, but what to do with the first one??

This is usually derived early on in any good QM textbook, so it will probably be in yours.

However, you've expanded the commutator wrong. To see how, try acting on a specific wavefunction [itex]\psi ( \mathbf{r} )[/itex] in the position basis:

[itex][y,p_x]\psi ( \mathbf{r} )=y\left( -i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right) + i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial x} \left( y\psi \right)[/itex]

the derivative acts on the product [itex]y\psi[/itex], not just on [itex]y[/itex], so you will need to use the product rule, from which the desired result follows. In more abstract terms, when you act on a state with a product of operators, [itex]\hat{A}\hat{B}[/itex], you first act on the state with [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] and then act on the result with [itex]\hat{A}[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! (Oh man you got rid of the bit where you showed that [x,y]=0 in any basis. I was going to go through that later! Oh well)

Thanks again for clearing things up :]

Xyius said:
Thank you for your reply! (Oh man you got rid of the bit where you showed that [x,y]=0 in any basis. I was going to go through that later! Oh well)

Thanks again for clearing things up :]

You're welcome. The reason I deleted the other bit was that there were some errors that I didn't have time to fix (it takes a while to write it out in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]), but the general idea is to insert the identity operator [itex]\hat{I}=\int_{\text{all space}} d^3x |\mathbf{x}\rangle \langle \mathbf{x}|[/itex] (in [itex]\langle \mathbf{n} | \psi \rangle = \langle \mathbf{n} | \hat{I} |\psi \rangle[/itex]), and then pull everything inside the integral, so that the commutator acts on [itex]\psi(\mathbf{x}) \equiv \langle \mathbf{x} | \psi \rangle[/itex] (since you know that the result of that is zero) and the result gets multiplied by some complex scalar ([itex]\langle \mathbf{n} | \mathbf{x} \rangle[/itex] ) and then integrated over all space, which obviously gives zero.

Related to How Does the Angular Momentum Commutator Simplify in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the definition of the Angular Momentum Commutator?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is a mathematical operator used to describe the relationship between two angular momentum operators. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators in two different orders.

2. Why is the Angular Momentum Commutator important in quantum mechanics?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is important in quantum mechanics because it helps describe the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to measure both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute precision. The commutator is also used to determine the energy levels and quantum states of a system.

3. How is the Angular Momentum Commutator calculated?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is calculated by taking the difference between the products of the two angular momentum operators in two different orders. It is represented by the symbol [A, B] and is calculated as [A, B] = AB - BA.

4. What is the physical significance of the Angular Momentum Commutator?

The physical significance of the Angular Momentum Commutator is that it determines the compatibility of two angular momentum operators. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators are considered to be compatible, meaning they can be measured simultaneously with certainty. If the commutator is non-zero, then the operators are not compatible, and there will be uncertainty in measuring both properties.

5. How does the Angular Momentum Commutator relate to other commutators in quantum mechanics?

The Angular Momentum Commutator is similar to other commutators in quantum mechanics, such as the Position-Momentum Commutator and the Energy-Time Commutator. These commutators all describe the relationship between pairs of operators in a system and play a crucial role in determining the physical properties and behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.