How does the amount of charge on a doorknob affect the length of a spark?

In summary, on a dry winter day, if you scuff your feet across a carpet, you build up a charge and get a shock when you touch a metal doorknob.
Specialmias

Homework Statement

On a dry winter day, if you scuff your feet across a carpet, you build up a charge and get a shock when you touch a metal doorknob. In a dark room you can actually see a spark about 5.0 cm long. Air breaks down at a field strength of 3.0 x 10^6 N/C. Assume that just before the spark occurs, all the charge is in your finger, drawn there by induction due to the proximity of the doorknob. Approximate your fingertip as a sphere of diameter 1.5 cm, and assume that there is an equal amount of charge on the doorknob 5.0 cm away.
How much charge have you built up?

Homework Equations

Q*Kc/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E > or equal 3*10^6
Knob)----d---(---R
2cm
(E*(d+r)^2)/kc=Q

Now I have several problems with this, first there's no value of Kc explicitly given to me. Our professor explicitly gives us Kc when it needs to be used to a certain decimal place. Secondly, I'm having an issue figuring out what exactly to do with my charge from the doorknob. My instinct tells me that both will be contributing to the charge equally but I can't seen to figure out where the distance of it and its charge would come into play with this problem. I'm thinking it has something with Kc not being used at all near the end solution but I'm not sure.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3*106 N/C is also 3*106 V/m

At 5cm then you know that the potential difference - thumb to knob must be 1/20th of that.

I'd simply use 8.99 * 109 for k in air.

Tried with 8e9 and got it returned as wrong so hrmm, still scratching away at this..

I've tried also to do this

Q=E(d+r)^2/kc (finger to any point where air breaks down)
Q=E(r)^2/kc (doorknob to any point where air breaks down)

Soo:

E(r)^2/kc=Q=E(d+r)^2/kc
But this ends up giving me units of meters alone so.. that won't work either

quick question: why is it when you scuff your feet, you lose electrons, instead of gain electrons from the carpet? Is it possible for it to go the other way?

Specialmias said:
On a dry winter day, if you scuff your feet across a carpet, you build up a charge and get a shock when you touch a metal doorknob. In a dark room you can actually see a spark about 5.0 cm long.
Surely they mean 5 mm here? :bugeye:

Related to How does the amount of charge on a doorknob affect the length of a spark?

1. What causes static charge on a doorknob?

The static charge on a doorknob is caused by an imbalance of positive and negative charges. This can occur when two objects rub against each other, causing one object to lose electrons and become positively charged, while the other gains electrons and becomes negatively charged.

2. Why do we experience a shock when touching a doorknob?

When we touch a doorknob, the excess electrons from our body are transferred to the doorknob, causing a sudden flow of electric current. This results in the sensation of a shock or spark.

3. Can static charge on a doorknob be dangerous?

In general, the static charge on a doorknob is not dangerous. However, in rare cases, it can lead to a small electric shock, which may be more noticeable for individuals with certain health conditions such as a heart condition.

4. How can we prevent static charge on a doorknob?

To prevent static charge on a doorknob, you can try to discharge the excess electrons from your body before touching the doorknob. This can be done by touching a metal object or a grounded surface before touching the doorknob. Additionally, using a humidifier in dry environments can also help reduce static charge.

5. Is there a way to remove static charge from a doorknob?

Yes, there are a few ways to remove static charge from a doorknob. One method is to touch a grounded object or surface, as mentioned before. Another method is to use an anti-static spray or wipes that can neutralize the charge. You can also try rubbing the doorknob with a dryer sheet or a damp cloth to remove the charge.