How Does Tension Affect the Mass and Velocity of a Guitar String?

In summary, The fundamental frequency of a typical steel B-string in a guitar is 240 Hertz with a length of 0.620 m. Using the formula V=F(2)L, the wave velocity along the string is calculated to be 297.6 m/s. From this velocity and the given tension of 84.0 N, the mass per unit length of the string can be calculated. Multiplying this by the length of 3 m gives the total mass of the string in kilograms. The relation between speed, tension, and mass per unit length is crucial in determining the properties of a vibrating string.
jamielees

Homework Statement

A typical steel B-string in a guitar resonates at its fundamental frequency at 240 Hertz. The length of the string is 0.620 m. What is the wave velocity along the string? Find your answer in m/s.
V=F(2)L
240(2)(.620)= 297.6

so THEN the question asks;

The tension in the above string is 84.0 N. Calculate the mass of a 3 m long piece of the steel string. Find your answer in kilograms.

we know that ; From the velocity of the wave and the tension we can find the mass per unit length. The total mass is the mass per unit length times length.
I think my formulas are confused. or I'm not sure what formula to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamielees said:
we know that ; From the velocity of the wave and the tension we can find the mass per unit length. The total mass is the mass per unit length times length.
I think my formulas are confused. or I'm not sure what formula to use?

What did you learn is the relation between speed, tension and mass of unit length?

ehild

Related to How Does Tension Affect the Mass and Velocity of a Guitar String?

What is the Physics of Sound?

The Physics of Sound is the study of how sound is created, transmitted, and perceived. It involves understanding the physical properties of sound waves, such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, and how these properties interact with different mediums.

How is sound produced?

Sound is produced when an object vibrates, creating sound waves that travel through a medium, such as air or water. The vibration causes the particles in the medium to compress and expand, creating a series of compressions and rarefactions that our ears perceive as sound.

What is the relationship between frequency and pitch?

Frequency is the number of vibrations per second, measured in Hertz (Hz). Pitch, on the other hand, is how high or low a sound is perceived by our ears. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch and vice versa. This means that a sound wave with a higher frequency will have more compressions and rarefactions per second, creating a higher-pitched sound.

How does the shape and material of an object affect the sound it produces?

The shape and material of an object can greatly affect the sound it produces. The shape can determine the direction and pattern of the sound waves, while the material can affect the speed at which the sound travels and the quality of the sound. For example, a hollow object will produce a different sound than a solid object of the same shape and size.

What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to sound?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or pitch of a sound wave as the source of the sound moves relative to an observer. This means that as a sound source moves closer to an observer, the frequency increases, resulting in a higher pitch. Conversely, as the sound source moves away, the frequency decreases, resulting in a lower pitch. This effect is commonly heard when a siren of a passing ambulance changes pitch as it passes by.