How does temperature affect volume contraction in ethanol-water mixtures?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a mixture of ethanol and water to study the effect of temperature on volume contraction. The main difficulty is determining the amount of volume contraction caused by ethanol alone, separate from the contraction caused by the mixture. The conversation suggests using simple proportions and the coefficient of thermal expansion for ethanol to calculate this. However, due to a lack of initial data, it is concluded that there is not enough information to accurately determine the volume contraction due to ethanol alone.
miniradman

Homework Statement

Ok, I have a volumetric flask filled with 67ml of ethanol and 36.38ml of water to make up 100ml of solution. My experiment was to find out how temperatue affects volume contraction. Part of my analysis was to justify how much volume contracion changed due to volume, a complicating factor involved was that some of this contracion was due to ethanol and ethanol rather than ethanol water.

The inital temperature was 23 degrees C

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out my mesuring how much the volume of ethanol changed and I calculated that it changed by 4mm and one mm equals 4.7ml, so there was a 0.85ml change in volume.

The temperature had a difference of 40 degrees C so there was difference of 0.02ml/C.

Next I found the percentage of volume change between 23 degrees and 6 degrees which worked out to be 0.125%

= (0.02/17) x 100
approx = 0.125%

I then applied this to the volume of ethanol I put in a flask which was 65ml

= 65 x (o.125/100)
= 0.08 ml/C

The problem is that when the temperature of the flask with the ethanol and water mixture decreases, the volume of ethanol decreases aswell. This means, that the contraction due to ethanol has also decreased. I have taken measurements from 7, 24, 65, 94 degrees and yes, I do have the difference in volumes. All I want are just hints to work out how much contraction is due to ethanol at each of the given temperatures.

Thanks guys, help will be appreciated ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
My experiment was to find out how temperatue affects volume contraction. Part of my analysis was to justify how much volume contracion changed due to volume, a complicating factor involved was that some of this contracion was due to ethanol and ethanol rather than ethanol water.

Please elaborate, I have troubles comprehending what you are trying to do.

ok this is basically what I did

had a ethanol and water mixture

changed the temperature of the mixture and took note of the changes of volume

filled a test tube with pure ethanol

changed the temperature of the ethanol and took note of the change in volume

Somehow, I have to take away the amount ethanol expanded by from the original water/ethanol mixture. But since I did not have an equal amount of ethanol in both mixtures, I have to do some maths to figure out how much expansion in the original water/ethanol mixture was due to the ethanol itself.

does this help?

miniradman said:
does this help?

Yes. I doubt you can approach it this way. You are assuming interactions to be completely independent, they are not. You can use simple proportions to evaluate how much volume of the ethanol that is present in the mixture with water would expand if it was alone, but assumption that it expands by the same fraction in a homogeneous mixture is IMHO unfounded.

Borek said:
You can use simple proportions to evaluate how much volume of the ethanol that is present in the mixture with water would expand if it was alone
That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out, but I have absolutely no idea of how to approach this though. :confused:

Simple proportion:

[tex]\frac {\Delta V_1}{V_1} = \frac {\Delta V_2}{V_2}[/tex]

should work.

But the thing is that I don't know how much the final volume of the ethanol is? I only know my inital volume which is 67ml (sorry, I made a mistake in my OP)

miniradman said:
filled a test tube with pure ethanol

changed the temperature of the ethanol and took note of the change in volume

miniradman said:
But the thing is that I don't know how much the final volume of the ethanol is? I only know my inital volume which is 67ml (sorry, I made a mistake in my OP)

You've lost me again. You didn't take the second measurement at all?

Borek said:
You've lost me again. You didn't take the second measurement at all?
I took a measurement from the inital volume of the mixture which was 100ml, and I know that mixture's volume rose by 5.205ml. I also know that 67mls of ethanol was in the inital volume. What I'm trying to figure out, is how much of that 5.205 rise, was due to the expansion of ethanol.

But you wrote you did a test measuring change of volume of the pure ethanol - didn't you?

But I didn't use 67 mls of pure ethanol for the pre-test. I didn't even take note of it because there would have been no way for me to get an accurate enough reading using test tubes. Why didn't i use 67mls of ethanol you ask? because I ran out :smile:

miniradman said:
But I didn't use 67 mls of pure ethanol for the pre-test. I didn't even take note of it because there would have been no way for me to get an accurate enough reading using test tubes. Why didn't i use 67mls of ethanol you ask? because I ran out :smile:

I am not asking about exact volume you used - have you checked the volume change for ANY amount of ethanol? You stated you did, 0.85 mL was a volume change of some volume of a pure ethanol, wasn't it?

yes, for one of my pre-tests

So you can use ratio to calculate how much volume should change. See my earlier post.

If 1 L changes volume by 1 mL, 0.5 L changes volume by 0.5 mL. See the relation?

yes, but like I've mentioned before... I don't have my inital volume of ethanol for the pre-test. I just have the change over an X amount of degrees.

Related to How does temperature affect volume contraction in ethanol-water mixtures?

1. Why does ethanol change in volume?

Ethanol is a chemical compound that is highly susceptible to changes in temperature and pressure. As the temperature increases, the molecules in ethanol begin to move more rapidly, causing them to take up more space and increase in volume. Similarly, as the pressure on ethanol increases, the molecules are forced closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume.

2. How does temperature affect the volume of ethanol?

As mentioned before, temperature plays a significant role in the change of volume in ethanol. As the temperature of ethanol increases, the molecules begin to move more rapidly and take up more space, resulting in an increase in volume. On the other hand, as the temperature decreases, the molecules slow down and take up less space, resulting in a decrease in volume.

3. Does the concentration of ethanol affect its volume?

Yes, the concentration of ethanol can also affect its volume. When ethanol is mixed with water or other solvents, it can either increase or decrease in volume, depending on the concentration of the mixture. This is because the molecules of different substances can interact with each other and change the overall volume of the solution.

4. How does pressure affect the volume of ethanol?

Pressure also plays a crucial role in the change of volume in ethanol. As the pressure on ethanol increases, the molecules are forced closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume. Conversely, as the pressure decreases, the molecules have more space to move around, causing an increase in volume.

5. Can the volume of ethanol be calculated?

Yes, the volume of ethanol can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the temperature, pressure, and number of moles of the substance. However, it should be noted that this calculation is an approximation and may not be entirely accurate due to other factors such as intermolecular interactions and non-ideal behavior of the substance.