How Does Temperature Affect the Period of a Pendulum?

In summary, the aluminum clock pendulum will lose time due to the temperature change. The length of the pendulum will change by .00015 meters.
BBallman_08

Homework Statement

An aluminum clock pendulum having a period of 1.00 s keeps perfect time at 20 degrees celcius. (A) When placed in a room at a temperature of -5.0 Celcius, will it gain or lose time? (B)How much time will it gain or lose every hour.

Homework Equations

I am pretty sure that this has to due with thermal expansion and motion of a pendulum so:

(A) Delta L = (alpha) (Lo) (delta T)
(B) T = 2pi *sqrt(L/G)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that the pendulum itself would shrink, therefore making it gain speed, but I just don't know how to set it up correctly? Any help guys and gals?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the length of the pendulum once it has changed due to temperature?

If I assume length = 1 m, then I come up with a Delta L of .0006 m

You don't really need to make assumptions- just do it algebraically.
Then what is the period of your new pendulum?

ok, so :

T = (2pi) *Sqrt (.9994/9.8)

t = 2.006 s

So it loses time?

Well like I said, I'd do it algebraically (i.e. in terms of L). But that's the next step yes.

How would you do it algebraically? Would you solve in terms of Lo ?

Just replace 1-0.0006 with Lo-delta L.

T = (2pi) *Sqrt (Lo-delta L /9.8) ?

How do I find out how much time it loses? Or would it simply be .0006 sec/min

Having read your question again... you know the original period of your pendulum! Divide T' (the period of your new pendulum) by T (the period of your old pendulum) and see what happens. Use no numbers (except 2pi) until you have a formula for T' in terms of T.

So would it be :

(2 Pi * sqrt ( l / g)) / 1 sec ?

Think about your equations for T and T'. The ratio T' to T(i.e. T' over 1...) will be equal to the ratio of the RHSs of the two equations.

What are you referring to when you say RHSs ?

Right Hand Side. Sorry-that's what too much maths does to you...

I was getting really confused with the algebra, so I just solved for the original length, Lo. Doing this I found it to be .25 meters.

After that I used the equation :

Delta L = (alpha) (Lo) (delta T), to find the change in length of the aluminum.

Delta L = (24 X 10 ^ -6) ( .25) (-25)

Delta L = -.00015 m

So, the new lenth was .24985 m

I then placed that in the equation for a period and found it to be :

T = 2 pi * sqrt (.24985)/(9.8)

T = 1.003 seconds.

Therefore, the clock slows by .003 seconds per period.

.003 X 3600 s in one hour = Loses 10.8 seconds per hour

Is this correct?

anyone?

1. What is the purpose of the motion of pendulum exercise?

The purpose of the motion of pendulum exercise is to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and periodic motion through the use of a pendulum. It also helps to understand concepts such as amplitude, frequency, and period.

2. How does a pendulum move?

A pendulum moves in a back and forth motion due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of the earth. The swing of the pendulum follows a predictable pattern, called an oscillation, which can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the force of gravity. The shorter the pendulum, the faster it will swing. A larger angle of release will result in a longer period of oscillation. The force of gravity also plays a role in the speed and frequency of the pendulum's swing.

4. How is the motion of a pendulum calculated?

The motion of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of oscillation, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is known as the "Pendulum Law" and helps to predict the motion of a pendulum based on its physical characteristics.

5. What are the real-world applications of the motion of pendulum exercise?

The motion of pendulum exercise has several real-world applications, including timekeeping devices such as grandfather clocks and metronomes, seismometers for measuring earthquake activity, and in engineering to test the stability of structures such as bridges and buildings. It also has applications in physics and mathematics to study oscillatory motion and periodicity.