How Does Temperature Affect the Heat Capacity of a Rubber Band?

In summary, the problem is to find the change in the constant-length heat capacity with length at constant temperature. You can do this using the Maxwell relation and the equation of state.
llabesab16
1. The problem: Suppose a rubber band obeys the equation of state: L = f (b/T), where L is length, f is tension, b is a constant, and T is temperature. For this rubber band, determine (δCL/δL)T, i.e. the change in the constant length heat capacity with length at constant temperature. You should be able to determine this using the following Maxwell Relation: (δf/δT)L = - (δS/δL)T, where S is the entropy

2. equations: dS = [(δS/δL)T]dL + [(δS/δT)L]dT
The constant length heat capacity, CL = T[(δS/δT)L]

3. Attempt: since L = f (b/T), TL = fb, and d(TL) = d(fb). b is constant, and hold L constant and use chain rule to get LdT = bdf. This implies that (δf/δT)L = L/b. Using the Maxwell relation, this implies that L/b = - (δS/δL)T. Also, using the equation of state, L/b = f/T, so - (δS/δL)T = f/T also. As mentioned above, dS = [(δS/δL)T]dL + [(δS/δT)L]dT. [(δS/δL)T] = - f/T, and [(δS/δT)L] is the constant length heat capacity divided by T, [CL]/T. Since dS is an exact differential, another Maxwell relation results from this: [(δ[[CL]/T]/δL)T] = -[(δ(f/T)/δT)L]. Using the chain rule, I got that (δCL/δL)T = f/T - 1

I hope this is clear enough. Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Second opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't

[tex]-\left(\frac{\partial(f/T)}{\partial T}\right)_L=-\left(\frac{\partial(L/b)}{\partial T}\right)_L[/tex]

equal to zero? And since you have this as equal to

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial(C_L/T)}{\partial L}\right)_T=\frac{1}{T}\left(\frac{\partial C_L}{\partial L}\right)_T[/tex]

would the change in the constant-length heat capacity with length at constant temperature also be zero?

!

Your attempt looks good and your reasoning is sound. The only thing I would suggest is to double check your final answer for (δCL/δL)T. It should be f/T - 1, not f/T. Other than that, your derivation is correct and clear. Good job!

Related to How Does Temperature Affect the Heat Capacity of a Rubber Band?

1. What is rubber band thermodynamics?

Rubber band thermodynamics is the study of the physical properties and behavior of rubber bands under varying temperatures and conditions. It seeks to understand the relationship between temperature, elasticity, and energy in rubber bands.

2. How do rubber bands behave at different temperatures?

At high temperatures, rubber bands become more elastic and stretch easily. However, at low temperatures, rubber bands become stiffer and less elastic, making them more difficult to stretch.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the energy of rubber bands?

As the temperature increases, the energy of rubber bands also increases, allowing them to stretch more easily. This is because heat causes the molecules in the rubber to vibrate more, making them more flexible.

4. Can temperature changes affect the lifespan of rubber bands?

Yes, extreme temperature changes can shorten the lifespan of rubber bands. Repeated exposure to high temperatures can cause rubber bands to lose their elasticity and become brittle, leading to breakage. Extreme cold can also cause rubber bands to become stiff and prone to breaking.

5. What are some real-world applications of rubber band thermodynamics?

Rubber band thermodynamics has various applications in industries such as engineering, manufacturing, and material science. It is used to design and test products that use rubber bands, such as rubber band-powered vehicles, elastic bands in clothing, and elastic components in machinery. It also helps in understanding the properties of rubber materials used in different environments.