How Does Temperature Affect Particle Distribution in Two-State Systems?

In summary, the ratio of particles occupying the first state, n0, to particles occupying the second state n1 can be determined by taking the ratio of their probabilities, which is equal to the ratio of particles in each state. This can be calculated using basic statistics and the binomial distribution, resulting in the system partition function cancelling out.
silence98

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N particles, with two available energy states, 0 and E. What is the ratio of particles occupying the first state, n0, to particles occupying the second state n1?

Homework Equations

single particle partition function Z=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]exp(-ei/kt)
system partition function Zsys=Z^N

The Attempt at a Solution

Z = exp(0)+exp(-E/kt) = 1+exp(-E/kt)

I then looked at the probability of each state being occupied:

P(0)=1/(1+exp(-E/kt))
P(1)=exp(-E/kt)/(1+exp(-E/kt))

I assumed that the ratio of probabilities P(0)/P(1) was equal to the ratio of particles occupying the first state to the number occupying the second.

P(0)/P(1) = exp(E/kt)

I'm unsure if this is the right method? I don't see how to incorporate the system partition function..

Physics news on Phys.org
silence98 said:
I assumed that the ratio of probabilities P(0)/P(1) was equal to the ratio of particles occupying the first state to the number occupying the second.

That's actually quite simple to see.
If you have N particles, and for each one the probability of being in state n is P(n) independent of the other particles, then basic statistics tells you that on average there are
E(n) = N P(n)
particles in state n (it's a binomial distribution).
If you calculate their ratio,
E(1) / E(0) = (N P(1)) / (N P(0)) = P(1) / P(0)
(or E(0) / E(1), is fine with me) you will see that N drops out and you only get the ratio of the probabilities.

CompuChip said:
That's actually quite simple to see.
If you have N particles, and for each one the probability of being in state n is P(n) independent of the other particles, then basic statistics tells you that on average there are
E(n) = N P(n)
particles in state n (it's a binomial distribution).
If you calculate their ratio,
E(1) / E(0) = (N P(1)) / (N P(0)) = P(1) / P(0)
(or E(0) / E(1), is fine with me) you will see that N drops out and you only get the ratio of the probabilities.

thanks for the complete and concise response!

Related to How Does Temperature Affect Particle Distribution in Two-State Systems?

What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of large systems of particles. It aims to understand the properties of matter and energy at a macroscopic level by studying the behavior of individual particles at a microscopic level.

How is statistical physics used in research?

Statistical physics is used in various fields of research, such as condensed matter physics, astrophysics, and biophysics. It helps to explain and predict phenomena such as phase transitions, diffusion, and the behavior of complex systems.

What are some key concepts in statistical physics?

Some key concepts in statistical physics include entropy, temperature, and energy. Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles. Energy is a fundamental quantity that is conserved in physical systems.

What are some applications of statistical physics?

Statistical physics has many practical applications, including the development of new materials, understanding climate change, and designing efficient energy systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as data science and machine learning.

What are the main principles of statistical physics?

The main principles of statistical physics include the laws of thermodynamics, the principle of microscopic reversibility, and the concept of equilibrium. These principles help to describe the behavior of physical systems and predict their properties.