How Does Stickiness Influence Static Friction?

• Thread starter LLT71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Compression means to push or squeeze together, while pressing means to apply force or weight onto something. The opposite of compression or pressing would be the release or absence of force or pressure.
LLT71
is "stickyness" part of the static friction? is it already integrated in coefficient of static friction μ or there is some special case where you put "coefficient of stickyness" in formula μ*N when things get sticky? I imagine peace of tape on some flat, relatively smooth surface. you have to pull it with relatively high amount of force in order to set it in linear motion. I suppouse area of that peace of tape also has some significance by means larger the peace of tape is larger the static friction would be?

Physics news on Phys.org
LLT71 said:
is "stickyness" part of the static friction? is it already integrated in coefficient of static friction μ or there is some special case where you put "coefficient of stickyness" in formula μ*N when things get sticky? I imagine peace of tape on some flat, relatively smooth surface. you have to pull it with relatively high amount of force in order to set it in linear motion. I suppouse area of that peace of tape also has some significance by means larger the peace of tape is larger the static friction would be?

I believe that you could just increase the coefficients of friction (static or otherwise) to compensate for the "stickyness". I have not yet run into coefficients of stickyness in my studies. Just coefficients of friction. Are you working on anything specific, or just curious.

LLT71 said:
is "stickyness" part of the static friction? is it already integrated in coefficient of static friction μ or there is some special case where you put "coefficient of stickyness" in formula μ*N when things get sticky?
That simple model doesn't really apply to adhesive tape, which can stick even when N=0 or even N<0.

Likes CWatters
maughanster said:
I believe that you could just increase the coefficients of friction (static or otherwise) to compensate for the "stickyness". I have not yet run into coefficients of stickyness in my studies. Just coefficients of friction. Are you working on anything specific, or just curious.

just curious :D I had the same idea about compensation for example that miu can be much grater than one.

A.T. said:
That simple model doesn't really apply to adhesive tape, which can stick even when N=0 or even N<0.

could you explain me a bit about that N=0 and N<0 cases, I am just curious, and how N can be less than zero? thanks!

LLT71 said:
yes and no... cause I don't get in which scenario is N<0 :S
Did you read the link I gave you?

"The normal force is defined as the net force compressing two parallel surfaces together;..."

What does negative compression mean?

A.T. said:
Did you read the link I gave you?

"The normal force is defined as the net force compressing two parallel surfaces together;..."

What does negative compression mean?
sorry I have very poor physics knowlege

LLT71 said:
sorry I have very poor physics knowlege
Do you understand what "compressing" or "pressing" means? What is the opposite of that?

Related to How Does Stickiness Influence Static Friction?

1. What is stickiness?

Stickiness is the property of a substance to adhere to another surface when in contact. It is caused by intermolecular forces, such as van der Waals forces or hydrogen bonds, between the molecules of the two surfaces.

2. How is stickiness measured?

Stickiness is typically measured using a device called a tackometer, which measures the force required to separate two surfaces in contact. The higher the force required, the stickier the substance is.

3. What factors affect stickiness?

The stickiness of a substance can be affected by several factors, including surface roughness, temperature, moisture, and the chemical composition of the surfaces in contact. For example, a smooth surface will generally be less sticky than a rough surface.

4. How does friction relate to stickiness?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. Stickiness can contribute to friction by increasing the adhesion between the surfaces. However, stickiness is not the only factor affecting friction as there are other factors such as the roughness and the weight of the objects in contact.

5. Can stickiness be reduced?

Yes, stickiness can be reduced by using substances that have a lower adhesion to the surface, such as lubricants, or by modifying the surface roughness. Additionally, reducing the contact time between two surfaces can also reduce stickiness as it allows less time for intermolecular forces to develop.