How Does Static Friction Affect a Sled on an Incline?

In summary, the problem involves a sled weighing 250 N on a 15° incline with a coefficient of static friction of 0.5. The magnitude of the static friction is found to be 120.7 N. The sled is then pulled up the incline at a constant speed by a child weighing 510 N and pulling on the rope with a force of 100 N at a 30° angle to the incline. The magnitude of the force exerted on the child by the incline is found by considering all forces acting on the child, including gravity, the normal force, and the tension from the rope, to be 246.3 N.
cartoonorange

Homework Statement

A sled weighing 250 N rests on a 15° incline, held in place by static friction (Figure 5-61). The coefficient of static friction is 0.5.

a)What is the magnitude of the static friction on the sled?

The sled is now pulled up the incline at constant speed by a child. The child weighs 510 N and pulls on the rope with a constant force of 100 N. The rope makes an angle of 30° with the incline and has negligible weight.

b)What is the magnitude of the force exerted on the child by the incline?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=us*N

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I found Normal force: 250cos(15)=241.5
Then to find magnitude: 241.5*.5=120.7, But it is not right.

For b, i foind Fgy: 510cos(15)=492.6
492.6*.5=246.3, but it is also wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
In a) you must remember that Friction is only a maximum force. If the down hill force of gravity doesn't exceed the maximum then the sled remains static.

What you calculated is the maximum amount of frictional force. Not what is only required.

I figured out a, but i am still lost on b

Are you sure you've included every force acting upon the child in your free-body diagram?

cartoonorange said:
I figured out a, but i am still lost on b

You need to consider all the forces acting on the child.

This includes gravity of course - a can't miss 510N force. And that resolves into the normal and parallel with the incline. The normal force is what they are interested in. Nevermind that the parallel force resolves itself into the downward incline pull of gravity from the child and sled and the frictional resistance generated by the snow boots.

If the rope of the sled is being pulled at 30° to the incline upward with 100N, then what does that mean in terms of any force acting on the child?

Thanks, I got it, I was not include the tension from the rope

Related to How Does Static Friction Affect a Sled on an Incline?

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the speed of the sled?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the sled will go. This is because the force of gravity pulling the sled down the slope is stronger, resulting in a greater acceleration.

2. What is the role of friction in a sled on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in slowing down the sled's motion on an inclined plane. As the sled travels down the slope, it experiences friction from the surface of the incline, which reduces its speed.

3. How does the mass of the sled impact its movement on an inclined plane?

The mass of the sled does not significantly affect its movement on an inclined plane. As long as the mass remains constant, the acceleration and speed of the sled will also remain constant, regardless of the angle of the incline.

4. Can the shape of the sled affect its performance on an inclined plane?

Yes, the shape of the sled can impact its performance on an inclined plane. A streamlined and aerodynamic shape will have less air resistance, allowing the sled to move faster down the slope.

5. Is there a limit to how steep an inclined plane can be for a sled to move?

Yes, there is a limit to how steep an inclined plane can be for a sled to move. As the angle of the incline approaches 90 degrees, the force of gravity pulling the sled down becomes greater than the force of friction holding it back, causing the sled to slide down uncontrollably.