How Does Soap Bubble Thickness Affect Color Wavelength Interference?

In summary, visible light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye and is made up of a range of wavelengths. These wavelengths range from approximately 400 nanometers (violet) to 700 nanometers (red) and can be measured in units of length. Visible light is produced by the vibration of electrically charged particles within atoms and can interact with matter through processes such as reflection, refraction, absorption, and transmission. The color of visible light is determined by its wavelength, with shorter wavelengths corresponding to blue colors and longer wavelengths corresponding to red colors. The color of an object is determined by which wavelengths it reflects or absorbs.
stickplot

Homework Statement

Ok I have two questions.
1. Light waves of which wavelength will destructively interfere due to the thickness of the bubble film? The bubble film thickness is 165 nm, with an index of refraction of n = 1.3.
a= 430 nm
b= 650 nm
c= 860 nm
d= 285 nm

2. You are outside in the Sun blowing bubbles. As you raise the round wand to blow bubbles, you notice an array of colors on the soap film.
Blue = 430 nanometers
Green = 500 nanometers
Red = 650 nanometers
The bubble film has an index of refraction of n = 1.3.

a. How thick is the film where you see yellow?

b. How thick is the film where you see cyan?

Homework Equations

1. 1/2 of a wavelength is destructive.
2. There are many equations but i don't know which one is right for the problem I am not sure how to find the thickness.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. A will destructively interfere with the bubble film
1/2x430= 215
215/1.3= 165
(my answer not 100% sure but I am pretty sure just need confirmation)

2. yellows wavelength is 570 nm
cyans is 470 nm
I am not sure what to do to find the thickness. can someone help please.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for your questions. Let's start with the first one.

1. To determine which wavelength will destructively interfere with the bubble film, we can use the equation for destructive interference: 1/2λ = t (where λ is the wavelength and t is the thickness of the film). We know that t = 165 nm and n = 1.3. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

1/2λ = 165 nm x 1.3
λ = 215.5 nm

Therefore, the wavelength that will destructively interfere with the bubble film is 215.5 nm. Since this is the closest to option a (430 nm), your answer is correct.

2. To find the thickness of the film where you see yellow and cyan, we can again use the equation for destructive interference. We know that yellow has a wavelength of 570 nm and cyan has a wavelength of 470 nm. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

1/2λ = t (where t is the thickness of the film)

For yellow:
1/2(570 nm) = t
t = 285 nm

For cyan:
1/2(470 nm) = t
t = 235 nm

Therefore, the thickness of the film where you see yellow is 285 nm and the thickness of the film where you see cyan is 235 nm.

for your questions. Let me address them one by one.

1. To find the wavelength that will destructively interfere with the bubble film, we need to use the equation for destructive interference: d = (m + 1/2)λ/n, where d is the thickness of the film, m is the number of times the light wave reflects off the top and bottom of the film, λ is the wavelength of the light, and n is the index of refraction of the film. We can rearrange this equation to solve for λ, which gives us λ = (d - (m + 1/2))n. Plugging in the given values, we get:

λ = (165 nm - (0 + 1/2)) x 1.3 = 165 nm - 0.65 nm = 164.35 nm

This means that a light wave with a wavelength of 164.35 nm will destructively interfere with the bubble film.

2. To find the thickness of the film where you see yellow and cyan, we can use the same equation as above, but this time we will solve for d. Since we know the wavelengths of yellow and cyan light, we can plug those in and solve for d.

a. For yellow light (λ = 570 nm), we get:

d = (0 + 1/2) x 570 nm / 1.3 = 285 nm / 1.3 = 219.23 nm

Therefore, the thickness of the film where you see yellow is approximately 219.23 nm.

b. For cyan light (λ = 470 nm), we get:

d = (0 + 1/2) x 470 nm / 1.3 = 235 nm / 1.3 = 180.77 nm

Therefore, the thickness of the film where you see cyan is approximately 180.77 nm.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does Soap Bubble Thickness Affect Color Wavelength Interference?

1. What is visible light?

Visible light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of a range of wavelengths that correspond to different colors.

2. What are the wavelengths of visible light?

The wavelengths of visible light range from approximately 400 nanometers (violet) to 700 nanometers (red). These wavelengths can be measured in units of length, such as meters or nanometers.

3. How is visible light produced?

Visible light is produced by the vibration of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, within atoms. When these particles vibrate, they create waves that travel through space, resulting in the emission of visible light.

4. How does visible light interact with matter?

Visible light can interact with matter in several ways, including reflection, refraction, absorption, and transmission. The way that visible light interacts with matter depends on the properties of the material it encounters, such as its color and texture.

5. What is the relationship between wavelength and color?

The wavelength of visible light determines its color. Shorter wavelengths correspond to colors on the blue end of the visible light spectrum, while longer wavelengths correspond to colors on the red end. The color of an object is determined by which wavelengths of visible light it reflects or absorbs.