How Does Singular Value Decomposition Transform a Unit Sphere into an Ellipsoid?

In summary, A maps the unit sphere in 3D to an ellipsoid with the following semi-axes:x = (-1/2, -1/2, 0)T -> Ax = (2, 0, 0)Tx = (-1/2, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, 0)T -> Ax = (0, -3, 0)Tx = (0, 0, 1)T -> Ax = (0, 0, 6)T
Impo
Hi

Suppose that [tex]A \in \mathbb{R}^{3 \times 3}[/tex] who maps the unit sphere in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] to an ellips with the following semi-axes;
[tex]x = \left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0\right)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (2,0,0)^{T}[/tex]
[tex]x=\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0\right)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (0,-3,0)^{T}[/tex]
[tex]x=(0,0,1)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (0,0,6)^{T}[/tex]

What is the singular value decomposition of [tex]A[/tex]? I'm not allowed to calculate [tex]A[/tex].

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Impo said:
Hi

Suppose that [tex]A \in \mathbb{R}^{3 \times 3}[/tex] who maps the unit sphere in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] to an ellips with the following semi-axes;
[tex]x = \left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0\right)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (2,0,0)^{T}[/tex]
[tex]x=\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0\right)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (0,-3,0)^{T}[/tex]
[tex]x=(0,0,1)^{T} \mapsto Ax = (0,0,6)^{T}[/tex]

What is the singular value decomposition of [tex]A[/tex]? I'm not allowed to calculate [tex]A[/tex].

Thanks in advance!

Suppose you write each of your semi-axes as the columns of a matrix we will call $B$.
Then what is $AB$ equal to?

Can you rewrite that in the form $A=U\Sigma V^*$ aka a singular value decomposition?

I like Serena said:
Suppose you write each of your semi-axes as the columns of a matrix we will call $B$.

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean ...

Impo said:
Honestly, I don't understand what you mean ...

$$B=\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

Now what is $AB$?

And can you rewrite it to a form where $A$ is equal to an orthogonal matrix times a diagonal matrix times another orthogonal matrix?

I like Serena said:
$$B=\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

Now what is $AB$?

And can you rewrite it to a form where $A$ is equal to an orthogonal matrix times a diagonal matrix times another orthogonal matrix?

I have no idea, I don't know anything about $A$. But I thought that semi-axes of the ellips were the vectors [tex]Ax[/tex]?

Impo said:
I have no idea, I don't know anything about $A$.

Yes you do.
You know the images of each of the column vectors in B.
So you should write that down using matrix notation.

But I thought that semi-axes of the ellips were the vectors [tex]Ax[/tex]?

Right.
I intended the vectors on the unit sphere that are mapped to the semi-axes of the ellipsoid.

If [tex]\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}[/tex] is the canonical basis for [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] then the only thing I can say is
[tex]A(Be_1)=(2,0,0)^{T}[/tex]
and so on

But I don't see how this helps me ...
I think I don't quite understand the purpose of this.

Impo said:
If [tex]\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}[/tex] is the canonical basis for [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] then the only thing I can say is
[tex]A(Be_1)=(2,0,0)^{T}[/tex]
and so on

Yes... and you can combine those to write down $AB$...

But I don't see how this helps me ...
I think I don't quite understand the purpose of this.

I guess we'll get to that once we get the matrix notation down, since that seems to be the main obstacle.

I like Serena said:
Yes... and you can combine those to write down $AB$...
I guess we'll get to that once we get the matrix notation down, since that seems to be the main obstacle.

[tex]AB = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & 0 \\ 0& 0&6 \end{array} \right)[/tex]
$\Leftrightarrow A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & 0 \\ 0& 0&6 \end{array} \right)B^{-1}$
$\Leftrightarrow A = \mbox{I}_3 \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -3 & 0 \\ 0& 0&6 \end{array} \right)B^{-1}$

In fact, if I prove that $B$ is an orthogonal matrix, that is, the columns are orthogonal vectors then I think this is a possible singular value decomposition of $A$ with singular values: $2, -3$ and $6$.

Last edited:
Yep!
That's it.

Related to How Does Singular Value Decomposition Transform a Unit Sphere into an Ellipsoid?

What is Singular Value Decomposition (SVD)?

Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) is a mathematical technique used to decompose a matrix into three separate matrices - U, Σ, and V - where U and V are orthogonal matrices and Σ is a diagonal matrix with the singular values of the original matrix. It is commonly used in data analysis, signal processing, and image compression.

Why is SVD important?

SVD is important because it allows us to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset while retaining the most important information. This is useful for data compression, noise reduction, and feature extraction. It is also used in various machine learning algorithms, such as principal component analysis.

How is SVD calculated?

The calculation of SVD involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the original matrix, and then using these to construct the three matrices - U, Σ, and V. This process can be computationally intensive, but there are various algorithms and software packages available to calculate SVD efficiently.

What are the applications of SVD?

SVD has many applications in various fields, such as image and signal processing, data compression, recommender systems, and text analysis. It is also used in machine learning for dimensionality reduction, feature extraction, and data preprocessing.

What are the limitations of SVD?

One limitation of SVD is that it can only be applied to square matrices, meaning that the number of rows must be equal to the number of columns. Additionally, SVD is not suitable for handling missing values or non-numeric data. In some cases, the interpretation of the resulting matrices can also be challenging.