How Does Simplifying Quadratic Equations Affect Their Solutions?

In summary: That is the summary for the conversation between the quadratic equation and the parabola. So, dividing by a number changes the shape of the parabola, but the x-values remain the same. However, the y-coordinate is affected by the division and may need to be adjusted accordingly. In summary, when simplifying a quadratic equation by dividing it by the coefficient, the x-values of the parabola remain the same but the y-coordinate may need to be adjusted. This is because dividing by a number changes the shape of the parabola while keeping the x-values constant. Adjustments to the y-coordinate may be necessary to compensate for the division.
autodidude
1) When you simplify a quadratic equation (or others) to make it positive or to make the a coefficient equal to 1, do you divide by whatever number you need to make it one or do you factor it out?

e.g.

0 = -x^2 + 4x + 21
0 = x^2 - 4x - 21

or

0 = -(x^2 - 4x - 21)

2) When you do simplify a quadratic by dividing it by whatever the a coefficient is, why do the x-values for the parabola remain the same the but the y doesn't? Does this mean you should only simplify quadratic equations to find x but leave it as is to find y-coordinates? For example for this equation I must find the x and y coordinates for the turning point, so I'm instructed to convert it into TP-form

y = 2x^2 - 12x + 22
y = x^2 - 6x + 11
y = x^2 - 6x + 9 -9 + 11
y = (x-3)^2 + 2

The y-coordinate is only half of what it should be because I divided by 2. Other than multiplying it by whatever I divided the equation by in the first place, is there another way to compensate for it? All my textbook says is to divide the equation but 'such problems are beyond the scope of this course'.

3) Last question :p

Am I factoring this correctly?
x^2 - 14x - mx + 1
x^2 - (14 + m)x + 1

If I were to plug 'b' into b^2, would it be -(14+m)^2?

-(14+m)^2
-(196 + 28m + m^2)
-196 - 28m - m^2

or do I have to times the negative one by everything inside first?

(-14-m)^2
196 + 28m + m^2

Would that mean that factoring the above expression like this:
x^2 +(-14 - m)x + 1 be valid?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To help understanding your number 1 and number 2, just think what you are doing or trying to do: Dividing zero by a number is one kind of result; dividing a variable by a number is a different kind of result.

If you use a function, written as y=ax2+bx+c, then you are indicating a function, in this general case, y as a function of x. When y is nonzero, then y/a is not zero. When y is equal to zero, then y/a is also zero.

Related to How Does Simplifying Quadratic Equations Affect Their Solutions?

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the use of symbols and letters to represent numbers and quantities. It involves solving equations and manipulating mathematical expressions to find unknown values.

2. What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to solve equations and simplify expressions.

3. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. The acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction) is often used to remember the correct order.

4. How do I solve equations in algebra?

To solve an equation in algebra, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using the basic algebraic operations. You then simplify the equation until you find the value of the variable.

5. What are the properties of algebra?

The properties of algebra include the Commutative Property, Associative Property, Distributive Property, Identity Property, and Inverse Property. These properties help us to manipulate and solve equations in a consistent and systematic way.