How does rotational kinetic energy increase in rolling downhill?

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a problem involving a hollow cylinder rolling down an incline. The goal is to find the linear acceleration, linear velocity, and minimum coefficient of static friction required to avoid slipping. There is a dilemma in choosing the reference point for analysis, as both the center of mass and the contact point provide different results. The conclusion is that the static friction does not do any work, but enables some linear motion by reducing non-rotational kinetic energy.
exscape

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem. Okay, it is -- but I have solved it correctly already, so the question is not there. I'm just not sure about a detail in one of many solutions.

We have a hollow cylinder with a uniform mass distribution rolling down an incline with some coefficient of static friction μ. It begins at rest. It has mass M and radius R, and so a moment of inertia M R^2. The incline makes an angle θ to the horizontal.

The goal of the problem is to find the linear acceleration of the center of mass, linear velocity when the object has moved a height h downwards (vertically downwards), and also the minimum coefficient of static friction required to avoid slipping.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum F = m a_{cm}[/itex]
[itex]\sum \tau = I \alpha_{cm}[/itex]
[itex]\alpha = a R[/itex] for pure rolling

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve it, I first wrote a N2L equation for the center of mass, with a component of gravity downhill, and static friction uphill.
Combine that with an equation relating torque relative to the center, [itex]\tau_C = F_{friction} R[/itex] to the linear acceleration as above.

The answers I find are all correct, but I'm not satisfied. If we consider torque relative to the center (of mass), only static friction can provide any torque, since gravity acts though the center of mass. However, this seems to lead to a contradiction.

Does the torque caused by static friction do work on the cylinder, to increase its rotational kinetic energy?
If NO, how can the rotational kinetic energy increase without a torque that does work?
If YES, how can static friction do work here? The total kinetic energy is equal to the work done by gravity (M g h).

I suppose we can "resolve" this dilemma by instead calculating torque relative to the contact point, in which case gravity can now provide a torque. However, it seems to me that this analysis method should be just as valid, so how does one resolve this apparent contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
exscape said:
If YES, how can static friction do work here? The total kinetic energy is equal to the work done by gravity (M g h).
Yes, the static friction does work in that reference point. The force is applied over the distance rolled. If you change the reference point to be the point of contact then the work is done by gravity instead.

Huh, alright. So not only is static friction doing work, but it is doing positive work... I have to admit I didn't really realize that could happen (I tend to think of friction being a source of energy loss only, in the cases where it does work at all.)

The energy is clearly coming from the gravitational potential energy though, right? It just feels strange to me that a force other than gravity can convert gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy.

exscape said:
Huh, alright. So not only is static friction doing work, but it is doing positive work... I have to admit I didn't really realize that could happen (I tend to think of friction being a source of energy loss only, in the cases where it does work at all.)

The energy is clearly coming from the gravitational potential energy though, right? It just feels strange to me that a force other than gravity can convert gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy.
Analysis of rotation - angular momentum, torque.. - usually depends on the reference point you choose. The answers will be the same (subject to certain rules) but it will look different superficially. Here, which force is doing the work changes.

exscape said:

But the static friction is decreasing the non-rotational kinetic energy at the same time, so the total work it does is still 0. If you let the cylinder slide down the slope without friction, it would move faster than it moves when rolling.

Static friction really can't do any work, because it pushes against a part of the cylinder that is not moving.

willem2 said:
But the static friction is decreasing the non-rotational kinetic energy at the same time, so the total work it does is still 0. If you let the cylinder slide down the slope without friction, it would move faster than it moves when rolling.

Static friction really can't do any work, because it pushes against a part of the cylinder that is not moving.
Ah, right, thanks. So it is indeed valid to say that it does both positive and negative work, as long as it does no net work, even if it acts over zero distance?

There is just one thing still bothering me. If we do the analysis from the contact point/a point on the incline, friction cannot provide any torque... but it must still reduce the linear acceleration, or the final velocity would be a factor √2 higher. The linear acceleration (and therefore final linear kinetic energy) will be lower due to the static friction, so does it not do negative work for the linear motion, and zero work for the rotational, for a net negative?
How can the final linear kinetic energy be less with friction than without, if the friction does no work?

Just because a force acts to accelerate an object (via N2L) does not mean that that force did work on the system. Whether you choose to analyze torques about the center of mass or the contact point is up to you. Since the friction force acts on a part of the cylinder that is instantaneously at rest, no work is done. (The static friction is not an energy source.)

exscape said:
How can the final linear kinetic energy be less with friction than without, if the friction does no work?
Note that the total mechanic energy is not less. Friction does no work, but it does enable some linear KE to be transformed into rotational KE.

Related to How does rotational kinetic energy increase in rolling downhill?

1. How does rotational kinetic energy increase in rolling downhill?

As an object rolls downhill, it gains potential energy due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field. As it begins to roll, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is a combination of translational and rotational energy. The object's rotational kinetic energy increases because its rotational speed increases as it rolls downhill.

2. Does the mass of the rolling object affect its rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect its rotational kinetic energy. The larger the mass of the object, the more rotational inertia it has, meaning it will require more energy to increase its rotational speed. However, the effect of mass on rotational kinetic energy is not as significant as it is on translational kinetic energy.

3. How does the shape of the rolling object affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The shape of the object does affect its rotational kinetic energy. Objects with a larger radius, such as a sphere, will have more rotational inertia and therefore require more energy to increase their rotational speed. Objects with a smaller radius, such as a cylinder, will have less rotational inertia and require less energy to increase their rotational speed.

4. Does the surface the object is rolling on affect its rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, the surface the object is rolling on can affect its rotational kinetic energy. A rough surface can cause friction, which will oppose the object's rotational motion and require more energy to increase its rotational speed. A smooth surface, on the other hand, will have less friction and require less energy to increase the object's rotational speed.

5. How does the incline of the hill affect the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling object?

The incline of the hill does affect the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling object. The steeper the incline, the more potential energy the object has, which will be converted into rotational kinetic energy as it rolls downhill. A gentler incline will result in less potential energy and therefore less rotational kinetic energy.