How Does Rocket Velocity Relate to Escape Velocity and Gravitational Potential?

In summary, a rocket accelerates to a speed of v0 near the Earth's surface and then coasts upwards. It is shown that if v0 = 2√(gR), where R is the Earth's radius, the rocket's speed will be v = √(2gR) when it is very far from the Earth. The equations used to solve this problem are the escape velocity equation v = √(2GM/R) and the gravitational potential energy equation U = -GMm/r. However, it is important to note that G is used in these equations instead of g. By manipulating the final answer from the energy conservation equation and substituting in the formula connecting G and g (and R), the
K29

Homework Statement

A rocket accelerates to speed v0 near the Earth's surface,and then coasts upwards. Show that if
v0 = 2sqrt(gR)
where R is the Earth's radius, then very far from the Earth the rockets speed will be
v = sqrt(2gR)

Homework Equations

The only equations I have thought of that may help are:
Escape Velocity:
v = sqrt(2GM/R)
Gravitational potential energy:
U= -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted using energy conservation and solving for v, however the answer appears far from that required.
This lead me to think that perhaps linear approximation may be required but I am unsure how I would apply (1+x)n = 1+nx for x<<1 in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi K29! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
K29 said:
A rocket accelerates to speed v0 near the Earth's surface,and then coasts upwards. Show that if
v0 = 2sqrt(gR)
where R is the Earth's radius, then very far from the Earth the rockets speed will be
v = sqrt(2gR)

The only equations I have thought of that may help are:
Escape Velocity:
v = sqrt(2GM/R)
Gravitational potential energy:
U= -GMm/r

Yes, those equations should do it …

but they use G, not g …

so what is the formula connecting G and g (and R)? :smile:

Ah yes. Thank you. All I needed to do was manipulate the final answer that I had from enegry conservations a tiny bit and then substitute that formula in

uhm as a new user,... am I meant to reply once I've got an answer??
I like the style of answering questions. Better than just copying an answer. "Help" is the way to go. At least that way I know where I've gone wrong

K29 said:
uhm as a new user,... am I meant to reply once I've got an answer??
I like the style of answering questions. Better than just copying an answer. "Help" is the way to go. At least that way I know where I've gone wrong

Hi K29!

Yes, it's friendlier if people reply. :smile:

Otherwise we tend to assume that they got a complete answer to the same question on another site, and never bothered with the hints from this site. :rolleyes:

The hints, btw, are the characteristic policy of PF … Greg Bernhardt :smile: reckons that members learn better if they have to do most of the work themselves!

See you around! :wink:

Related to How Does Rocket Velocity Relate to Escape Velocity and Gravitational Potential?

What is gravitation and why is it important?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which physical objects with mass are attracted to one another. It is important because it explains the force that keeps objects in orbit around each other, such as planets around the sun, and also plays a crucial role in the formation of celestial bodies.

What is Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = (G x m1 x m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of gravitation?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass does not change, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on the object.

How has the understanding of gravitation evolved over time?

The understanding of gravitation has evolved significantly over time, from early theories of Aristotle and Galileo to the revolutionary discoveries of Newton and Einstein. Scientists continue to study and refine our understanding of gravitation through experiments and observations, such as the recent detection of gravitational waves.