How Does Relativity Affect Perceptions of Time and Length in Motion?

In summary, the theory of relativity was proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has two main components: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. It explains how time and space are relative concepts and are affected by the laws of physics. The theory states that time is not absolute, but rather it is relative to the observer's frame of reference, resulting in time dilation. It also explains length contraction, where the length of an object appears to decrease when moving at high speeds. The theory has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe and has been extensively tested, but is continually being refined with new evidence and technologies.
Oijl

Homework Statement

A race horse can travel down a 2000m straightaway at a speed of 0.9c.

a) How long does it take the horse to run the straightaway according to a timer sitting in the grandstand?
b) From the jockey's perspective, the length of the straightaway appears to be less than 2000 m. What is the apparent length?
c) How long does it take for the horse to run the straightaway according to the jockey?
d) What would the jockey calculate for the speed of the horse relative to the grandstand?

It seems like I'm doing things right until the last part, but I put up my work for the first three parts so you'll know my thought process that leads me to my problem in part d.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ∆t = length/speed
Length of the straightaway according to a timer in the grandstand would be 2000m, because there would be no length contraction for the timer.
length=2000m
The speed is given at 0.9c.
speed=0.9c
Therefore,
∆t = 2000/(0.9c) = some value

b)L = Lo[sqrt(1-(u^2)/(c^2))]
Lo = 2000m
u = 0.9c
So,
L = 2000[sqrt(1-0.9^2)] = some other value

c) Again, ∆t = length/speed (but here we'll call it ∆to)
∆to = L/(0.9c), where L is the L of part b

d) ...
Speed is length over time, and the length according to the jockey is L, and the time according to the jockey is ∆to, which was calculated using 0.9c as the speed, so 0.9c would be the speed of the horse.

Anyway, thanks for looking at this, and I'm sure someone can give me a good, quick help that sets me straight because I know this is a simple problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. The grandstand sees the horse/jockey moving at speed 0.9c, so the horse/jockey sees the grandstand moving at speed 0.9c. (They agree on each other's relative speed.)

Related to How Does Relativity Affect Perceptions of Time and Length in Motion?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It has two main components: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. These theories explain how time and space are relative concepts and how they are affected by the laws of physics.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the relativity of time?

The theory of relativity states that time is not absolute, but rather it is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion and gravitational fields. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

3. What is length contraction in the theory of relativity?

Length contraction is the concept that the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This phenomenon is a result of the relativity of time and space and can be explained by the special theory of relativity.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a new understanding of time, space, and gravity. It has also led to the development of important scientific concepts such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expanding universe.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately explain many observations and experiments. However, like all scientific theories, it is continually being tested and refined as new evidence and technologies become available.