How Does Refraction Influence Measurement Accuracy in Ripple Tank Experiments?

In summary, the individual has performed an experiment in a ripple tank to calculate the wavelength by counting the number of waves and measuring the length of a train of waves. A stroboscopic light was used and a ruler was submerged in the tank for measurement. The question is whether refraction could cause any errors in the readings. The individual suggests that Snell's Law could explain any slight bending of the waves, but another source of error could be diffraction. However, a follow-up question asks if refraction could affect the accuracy of the experiment, to which the individual is unsure and points out the visible bending of rays at the boundary.
roam

Homework Statement

I've preformed an experiment where in a ripple tank I had to count the number of waves and length of as long a train of waves as possible, so that I can calculate the wavelength. A stroboscopic light was used and I had to count the number of bright patches/shadows of the ripples cast at the bottom of the tank. There was a ruler submerged in the bottom of the tank to read the length.

The question is, in what ways can refraction (bending of light) cause any errors in the readings?

This is a photo of the situation: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3217/experimentlw.jpg

Homework Equations

Snell's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand from Snell's law that when a beam of light enters a more optically dense medium with greater index of refraction (in this case water), it bends toward the normal.

Can I use this to argue that the shadows/bright fringes of the waves have bended slightly and do not really correspond to the exact reading of the ruler at the bottom of the tank?

If not, what else can I cite as a source of error due to refraction? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
i am a bit confused but you shouldn't care about refraction here ( as long as the depth is the same ) , you should focus on diffraction instead.

ZxcvbnM2000 said:
i am a bit confused but you shouldn't care about refraction here ( as long as the depth is the same ) , you should focus on diffraction instead.

So there is absolutely no way at all that refraction can affect the accuracy of this experiment? Not even to a very small degree?

But the rays clearly bend as they cross the boundary... :confused:

Related to How Does Refraction Influence Measurement Accuracy in Ripple Tank Experiments?

1. What is refraction of light and waves?

Refraction is the bending of light or waves as they pass through a different medium, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs due to a change in the speed of the light or waves as they enter the new medium.

2. What causes refraction?

Refraction occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums. When light enters a new medium, its speed changes, causing it to bend or change direction.

3. How is the angle of refraction determined?

The angle of refraction is determined by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two different mediums.

4. What are some real-life examples of refraction?

Some common examples of refraction include the bending of light through a prism, the way objects appear distorted when viewed through water, and the way a pencil appears to bend when placed in a glass of water.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction is used in many everyday applications, such as eyeglasses, camera lenses, and microscopes. It is also used in the design of optical instruments, such as telescopes, to improve the clarity and magnification of images. In addition, refraction is used in fiber optics technology for communication and in the production of solar panels.