How Does Reducing Wavelength Affect Photoelectron Kinetic Energy and Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of changing the wavelength of radiation of 240nm on the maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons and the maximum photoelectric current. The intensity of the incident radiation is kept constant. It is stated that the maximum kinetic energy will increase as the wavelength is reduced, but there is confusion about the effect on the maximum photoelectric current. The expert clarifies that intensity of light is the energy transferred in unit time through unit area and is also related to frequency through the formula I=nhf/A. With a decrease in wavelength and frequency, the rate of emission of photons decreases, which in turn decreases the maximum photoelectric current.
jiayingsim123

Homework Statement

Radiation of wavelength 240nm gives rise to a maximum photoelectric current, I. The intensity of the incident radiation is maintained constant and the wavelength is now reduced.
State and explain the effect of this change on
(i) The maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons

(ii) The maximum photoelectric current I.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that for (i) the maximum KE will increase as the wavelength is reduced causing the photon energy to be larger and the maximum KE is independent of the intensity. However, I don't get (ii). My initial answer is that the maximum photoelectric current, I remains constant as the intensity if unchanged. However, the answer says that there are fewer photons per unit time, so the maximum current is smaller. Does frequency also affect the number of electrons emitted per unit time (since frequency is the number of cycles per unit time) and hence affect the magnitude of the photoelectric current?

I hope you can clear up my confusion! Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the intensity of light means? :)

ehild

ehild said:
What do you think the intensity of light means? :)

ehild

Hi there!
Intensity just means the number of photons contained in the light beam. So the higher the intensity, the more photons are contained. I know clearly that if frequency is kept constant, an increase in intensity will increase the photoelectric current because current is the rate of flow of charge and an increase in intensity will increase the number of electrons emitted from the surface. However, in this case, the wavelength of the light beam is reduced, which means that the frequency is reduced as well. How does this affect the intensity and how does this then, affect the maximum photoelectric current?

I hope you can shed some light on this. Thanks!

jiayingsim123 said:
Hi there!
Intensity just means the number of photons contained in the light beam.

The intensity of light is the energy transferred in unit time through unit area.

ehild

You forgot that intensity of light is also associated with the frequency by the following relation:

I=nhf/A (n=no. of photons emitted per unit time, h=Planck's constant, f=frequency of light, A=area perpendicular to light's direction of propagation)

In this question, it is mentioned that the wavelength is reduced without the intensity changing. In order to effect this, you have to decrease the rate of emission of photons, by virtue of the formula written about.

A closer examination would require you to analyse the effects the increased maximum kinetic energy has on the photoelectric current (I=nAve). However, if you do the mathematics, you would get the same conclusion.

I hope this helps.

Related to How Does Reducing Wavelength Affect Photoelectron Kinetic Energy and Current?

What is photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This effect was first observed and explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

How does photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when photons (particles of light) strike the surface of a material, transferring their energy to electrons in the material. If the energy of the photons is high enough, the electrons will be ejected from the material, creating an electric current.

What is the importance of photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is important because it helps us understand the nature of light as both a wave and a particle. It also has practical applications, such as in solar cells, photodiodes, and photoelectric sensors.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity of the light source, the frequency of the light (which determines the energy of the photons), and the properties of the material being exposed to the light, such as its work function and electron density.

How is the photoelectric effect used in technology?

The photoelectric effect is used in many technologies, including solar cells, which convert light energy into electrical energy, and photodiodes, which are used in light sensors and optical communication systems. It is also used in photoelectric sensors, which are used in many industries for detection and control purposes.