How Does Ray Tracing with Multi-Lens Systems Work?

In summary, when using a converging lens to form a virtual object, the virtual object will be closer to the lens than the real object. When using a diverging lens, the real image will be further down the optical axis than the virtual object. It is important to keep in mind the direction of light rays through both lenses when drawing a ray tracing diagram.
bcjochim07
Multi-Lens System Ray Tracing --Please help

lenses in combination.jpg

Homework Statement

It isn't possible to form an image of a real object on a screen with only diverging lens. However, if we use a converging lens, it is possible to create what is called a virtual object. The diverging lens has a virtual object if the image formed by the converging lens occurs on the far side of the diverging lens. The diverging lens can then create a real image of the virtual object.

In the figure attached I have drawn in some rays. I drew the red rays, pretending that the diverging lens wasn't present. The meeting of the red rays is where the virtual object is located.

Then, treating this virtual object as the image, I drew green rays to show the image that would be formed by the diverging lens from this virtual object. Then I extended those lines (using blue lines) to show where the real image would be. I have drawn this with a ruler on paper several times, and every time I come up with the real image being in front of the virtual object, and I'm pretty sure that the real image is supposed to be further down the optical axis since diverging lenses spread out light. What am I doing wrong in my ray tracing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are on the right track with your ray tracing, but there are a few things you may want to consider.

First, remember that when light passes through a converging lens, it is bent towards the optical axis. This means that the virtual object formed by the converging lens will actually be closer to the lens than the real object.

Second, when we use a diverging lens, the rays of light are spread out and do not converge to a single point. Instead, they appear to diverge from a point behind the lens, creating a virtual image. This means that the real image formed by the diverging lens will actually be further away from the lens than the virtual object.

So, in your diagram, the real image should be further down the optical axis than the virtual object. I would recommend redrawing your diagram, keeping in mind the direction of light rays through the converging and diverging lenses, and see if that helps you come to the correct conclusion.

I hope this helps! Feel free to reply with any further questions. Best of luck with your ray tracing!

I would first suggest taking a step back and reviewing the fundamental principles of ray tracing for multi-lens systems. It is important to understand the basic properties of converging and diverging lenses, such as their focal lengths and how they affect the path of light rays.

Next, I would recommend carefully analyzing the given scenario and drawing a clear and accurate diagram to represent the situation. All relevant distances and angles should be labeled to ensure a thorough understanding of the problem.

In this case, it seems that the issue may lie in the placement of the virtual object and the direction of the rays being traced. Remember that the virtual object is located on the far side of the diverging lens, and the rays should be drawn from the object towards the lens, not from the lens towards the object.

It may also be helpful to use a computer program or simulation to aid in the visualization and verification of the ray tracing. This can help identify any errors or misconceptions in the process.

In summary, to successfully perform multi-lens system ray tracing, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and to carefully analyze and accurately represent the given scenario. I hope this helps in your understanding of the concept.

Related to How Does Ray Tracing with Multi-Lens Systems Work?

1. What is multi-lens system ray tracing?

Multi-lens system ray tracing is a method used in optics to analyze the behavior of light as it passes through multiple lenses. It involves tracing the path of individual light rays through the system in order to determine the final image or focal point.

2. How is multi-lens system ray tracing used in science?

Multi-lens system ray tracing is used in a variety of scientific fields, including astronomy, microscopy, and photography. It allows scientists to understand how lenses and optical systems work, and can be used to design and improve optical instruments.

3. What are the steps involved in multi-lens system ray tracing?

The first step is to determine the properties of each lens in the system, such as its focal length and index of refraction. Then, the path of a light ray through the system is traced using geometric optics equations. This is repeated for multiple rays to create a ray diagram, which can then be used to determine the final image or focal point.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of multi-lens system ray tracing?

The accuracy of multi-lens system ray tracing can be affected by factors such as lens imperfections, wavelength of light, and aberrations. Additionally, the accuracy can be improved by using more advanced techniques such as wave optics or ray tracing software.

5. Are there any limitations to multi-lens system ray tracing?

Multi-lens system ray tracing is a simplification of the behavior of light and does not take into account factors such as diffraction and scattering. It also assumes that light travels in a straight line, which may not always be the case. As such, it may not accurately predict the behavior of light in all situations.